Honored Contributor

Re: Shampoo recommendation for aging, thinning hair

The hair mask by Carol's Daughter (Monoi) is very, very good. It makes a lot of body and fullness, even with my flat hair. They call it an oil mask but it won't weigh your hair down at all.  I use it once a week. Fantastic product and a Customer Pick on HSN. Several sizes to choose from.

https://www.hsn.com/search?query=monoi+hair+mask

carols-daughter-monoi-repairing-megasize-hair-mask-d-20191025092721567_678572.jpg

Respected Contributor

@JumpTheRope wrote:

One of my standbys is “MANE AND TAIL”  hair products as well as

their hand/body lotions.

Look on Amazon for Arrow Mane and Tale products...they have hair growth products, shine spray, and many others,

I started using it when my DDs were little and CVS/WALGREENS would 

offer BOGO occasionally.

The Shamp/Cond. combo is very inexpensive.

@JumpTheRope  My niece whom has beautiful long hair has used this since she was maybe about 8-9, she is now 29 and still uses it, she said she has tried other high ends but just likes her hair best with this line so she sticks with it, I remember using it when I was younger and then moved on, for the price may be worth playing with  Smiley Happy

Contributor

Alterna Caviar Volume  . It is made for hair over 50 great stuff.

Kae

Respected Contributor

I'm using the cleansing product that is the amber vanilla scent.  I just got the recent special value in the berry and it's delish!  I got the spray in a kit and it's very nice, but I don't need it to have great hair.  I love not having to "shampoo" everday.  I'm down to a couple of times a week.  Hope that helps

Super Contributor

I noticed nobody mentioned Nioxin.  I remember when this line was recommended a lot for thinning hair.  Doesn't anyone use it anymore?  No results?

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @SandGirl 

Re: your question about breakage, I hope you don't mind if I address it here instead.

Your goal is to keep hair strong & flexible by getting moisture to enter and remain in the hair shaft faster than it exits. No matter what you use, keep that goal in mind.

If your hair is porous the moisture readily enters during the wash, but leaves just as fast.

On the other end of the scale is hair that resists picking up moisture, even when it's parched by dry air and hot tools.

Since you're still using WEN I'd say leave the 2nd cleanse on your hair about 7-10 minutes. No, fig won't be too much.

I go to 613, Remoist, and oil if I see any breakage.

2-3 times a month?

If my hair were brittle enough to be snapping off I'd increase to 2-3 times a week, plus be using a Remoist+oil mix for my leave in to slow the moisture loss.

Don't get hung up on keeping the Remoist in for 45 minutes or longer. If I need it, I add Remoist to the end of the 2nd cleanse and rinse it out 10 minutes later.

Consider temporarily using remoist for your leave in. Adding oil to the leave in supposedly helps seal the moisture in. Love Chaz's spray (dry) oil for that.

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Hi @SandGirl 

Re: your question about breakage, I hope you don't mind if I address it here instead.

@x Hedge  Totally Fine  Smiley Happy

Your goal is to keep hair strong & flexible by getting moisture to enter and remain in the hair shaft faster than it exits. No matter what you use, keep that goal in mind.

If your hair is porous the moisture readily enters during the wash, but leaves just as fast.

My hair holds onto water well, it stays wet a long time unless I lightly towel it and blow dry it ...

On the other end of the scale is hair that resists picking up moisture, even when it's parched by dry air and hot tools.

Since you're still using WEN I'd say leave the 2nd cleanse on your hair about 7-10 minutes. No, fig won't be too much.

Okay, I will for sure give that a try, it's just hard that long since I do cleanse daily before work, I will try to do at least 7min and 10min or longer if I do my hair on the weekend

I go to 613, Remoist, and oil if I see any breakage.

I thought about 613 but I thought i might have to much protein and cause more breakage? Mine isn't snapping like super brittle, I just notice my ends are all uneven looking and breaking off mid to end somewhere

2-3 times a month?

If my hair were brittle enough to be snapping off I'd increase to 2-3 times a week, plus be using a Remoist+oil mix for my leave in to slow the moisture loss.

It's expensive LOL ... I will grab some more remoist so I can use it more often, that may be a really good idea. Thank you!

Don't get hung up on keeping the Remoist in for 45 minutes or longer. If I need it, I add Remoist to the end of the 2nd cleanse and rinse it out 10 minutes later.

Consider temporarily using remoist for your leave in. Adding oil to the leave in supposedly helps seal the moisture in. Love Chaz's spray (dry) oil for that.

I will try using it as a leave in, I thought it would be to heavy, I'll start with a small amount and maybe just a tiny drop of oil. I use the treatment spray before blow drying but haven't tried the dry oil since I was worried about the extra oil making it hard to keep my curl. His styling cream does that to my hair, when I use it I can't get my curls to stay all day, it's odd!

THANK YOU so much for taking time to reply. I really appreciate it!!  xo

Honored Contributor

@JumpTheRope wrote:

One of my standbys is “MANE AND TAIL”  hair products as well as

their hand/body lotions.

Look on Amazon for Arrow Mane and Tale products...they have hair growth products, shine spray, and many others,

I started using it when my DDs were little and CVS/WALGREENS would 

offer BOGO occasionally.

The Shamp/Cond. combo is very inexpensive.

@JumpTheRope 

I agree! I started using Mane & Tail growing up when I had horses, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@appm wrote:

I noticed nobody mentioned Nioxin.  I remember when this line was recommended a lot for thinning hair.  Doesn't anyone use it anymore?  No results?

@appm 

Yes, I've tried that, it's expensive, but more importantly after using for 6 months, I saw no improvement at all.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.