Super Contributor

Shampoo recommendation for aging, thinning hair

Is there a shampoo or treatment  you could recommend?  I have bought a couple of different ones recently that don't seem to be helping.  Figure at this point I need some good advice before I spend any more $ on shampoos!    Thanks in advance

Honored Contributor

Re: Shampoo recommendation for aging, thinning hair

@gellen wrote:

Is there a shampoo or treatment  you could recommend?  I have bought a couple of different ones recently that don't seem to be helping.  Figure at this point I need some good advice before I spend any more $ on shampoos!    Thanks in advance

@gellen   I personally haven't found the S&C step the most helpful for thinning hair. I used Kerinique and a few others and they were quite drying. I depend on styling products like volumizing mousse and root lifting sprays. Strangely, whether or not your hair needs washing, dry shampoo works wonders to make your hair look thicker.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I'm with you on the dry shampoo, I don't use it as a shampoo, but it's great for adding volume!

I forget where I heard about it working so good to add volume, but it sure works great for me.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Shanus 

I'm with you on the dry shampoo, I don't use it as a shampoo, but it's great for adding volume!

I forget where I heard about it working so good to add volume, but it sure works great for me.

@KingstonsMom   I like dry shampoo because I can target the spray just on the areas that need it. Too much mousse, etc. means I need to wash my hair more often. 

Valued Contributor

@gellen 

Hi 

I am 56 with fine salt and pepper hair . In October I ordered from the  company Function of Beauty a company that personalises your shampoo and conditoner . I am loving it . You take a quiz and choose what you want to focus on mine is -Anti aging , volumize and strengthen . You customize colors of products , also fragrance ( or unscented ) I have been really pleased with it . I had seen it on one of Dr Dray's video and decided to try it . I have been very satisfied . They also have a serum and other products but I  only have the shampoo & conditioner . Good luck !

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom  Do you use any specific brand of dry shampoo.  My hair is getting thin by my bangs and I'd like to try the dry shampoo. Thanks.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@hayseed00 

I use the 'Batiste' brand, relatively inexpensive at any retailer/drug store, etc.

I get mine at TJMaxx, always available there in a variety of scents, $4.50 for a 6.73 oz. can.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I've tried many different shampoos, and " Dove Thickening Ritual , with lavender and rosemary," is a keeper.  Every expensive shampoo I used left my hair like straw, and in the case of " Kerinique ", my scalp itched like crazy. Give the Dove a try !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I am struggling with hair issues as well. I have found that some styling products make a noticeable improvement in hair thickness.  One is Nick Chavez plump and thick styling creme. (The gel is good too but I prefer the cream).  My hair feels noticeably thicker.  Also Alterna makes a product called hair densifying root spray.  It is sold at Sephora. Kind of expensive but it adds thickness.  It's supposed to help hair growth I think, but I haven't used it long enough to know.   For shampoo/conditioner I like the Carol's Daughter Monoi Ora.  Good luck in your hunt!

Respected Contributor

Many years ago my hair started falling out badly, I found a product at Kmart that was called Progaine, like rogaine. It helped a lot. I think it was stress related.

I went to Whole Foods and asked the clerk what product sold well and she gave me a shampoo that lots of cancer woman were buying that she said seemed to help. I liked it to. I can find the name if you are interested.