Contributor

Shampoo/conditioner recommendations for frizzy hair

I am looking for suggestions for my 20 yo daughters hair. She has fine, very curly, dry frizzy hair. She doesn't blow dry, but staightens it once in a while. 

It seems no matter what shampoo/product she uses nothing seems to help with the frizz/dryness. She takes hair vitamins. She used to use Dove, she's currently using Biosilk, which is not helping. 

If anyone has similar hair, and has found something that works for them please let me know. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Shampoo/conditioner recommendations for frizzy hair

@meggie15 wrote:

I am looking for suggestions for my 20 yo daughters hair. She has fine, very curly, dry frizzy hair. She doesn't blow dry, but staightens it once in a while. 

It seems no matter what shampoo/product she uses nothing seems to help with the frizz/dryness. She takes hair vitamins. She used to use Dove, she's currently using Biosilk, which is not helping. 

If anyone has similar hair, and has found something that works for them please let me know. 

I would recommend products geared for curly hair. I've used both Ouidad and Deva Curl products with much success. 

Respected Contributor

@meggie15 Sounds like my hair!  First thing, go sulfate free.  Then, don't shampoo daily.  If daily cleansing is necessary, just use conditioner on day two.  Then experiment with products.  What works for me might not work for her, and she might need a variety in the shower.  

I've been very happy with the Hask Argon shampo and conditioner.  These are CHEAP (Ulta)!   I also like the Living Proof Full and Frizz lines, including the Frizz styling spray.  For extra conditioning, I'll use the Tweak'd products (HSN).  It takes a lot of trial and error to get it right, but she will.

Honored Contributor

WEN especially if she doesn't blow dry her hair. I don't think it's a good idea to straighten ver fine frizzy curly hair. Get a hair cut that will work with her hair type.Just MO.

Honored Contributor

@meggie15   Acure Organics has an ultra hydrating moisture shampoo that is wonderful.  You can actually feel the difference.  They also have a conditioner to go with it. Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

She should try wen !

start with one of the universal formulas 

watch a video because there is a learning curve 

Esteemed Contributor

I have the same type of hair. My hair is more wavy then curly but very fine. I had been using Pantene. My hair looked awful and my scalp itched. About two months ago I switched to Paul Mitchell tea tree special. Then I use chi spray leave in conditioner after my shower. I don’t blow dry often but the last time I did my hair was so soft. The tea tree comes in 3 formulas. One for thickening, one for moisturizing, and one the gets all the purifies out.  I ordered all three when they had the buy two get one free last time.

Honored Contributor

@meggie15 wrote:

@meggie15 Ding Ding Ding....my hair exactly....fine, curly, frizzy sometimes and dry. BTW, dry & frizzy are the same thing. First your daughter has to decide if she wants to embrace her natural curls and wear it curly....books written how to do that (The Curly Girl Method). If she decides to continue to straighten it, she is fighting her natural texture causing it to be dry, frizzy.

Curly hair, by nature, is weaker and more dry. When I made the decision “to go w/ the curl”, I stopped straightening it w/ curling irons, flat irons, round brushes, etc., & purchased a diffuser for my blow dryer. I deep condition at least once a week...sometimes twice and may even sleep w/ conditioner in my hair (on a towel & shower out in the morning). Frizz is thirsty hair looking for moisture anywhere it can find it. The more it is conditioned, the less moisture it will crave, the less frizz. 

She needs to shampoo less often (too drying) and on 2nd or 3rd day hair, I have a spray bottle I made up w/ 2/3 water 1/3 any conditioner. I shake it up, spray on my hair, scrunch the curl back in place & either air dry or use diffuser. 

Frequent trims are necessary to get rid of any damaged hair. I keep mine fairly short & layered just because it’s easier for me...but any length naturally curly, well conditioned hair is beautiful. 

Hint: oils are her friend. After shampoo & conditioning, a drop of argan or marula oil rubbed hands and lightly in hair (away from scalp...or follicles will clog). Good luck and hope this helped. 😃

Honored Contributor

Try Quidad or Carol's Daughter.  

Esteemed Contributor

My hair is neither curly nor fine - just medium texture. I love Carol's Daughter Cupuacu, but I don't know if she is discontinuing this. It is getting hard to find.

Her other, though, that is recommended for frizz is Sacred Tiara. I get great results with that, too! (frizz free hair)

But I agree about the drops of oil, and washing less often, which will help w/ dryness.