Respected Contributor

Shampoo & Conditioner Suggestions

I'd been using Paul Mitchell Awapuhi shampoo & conditioner for about 1 1/2 years, and really liked it.  It cleaned my hair well and smelled divine.  Didn't suffer any hair loss.  But after using it for so long, I felt I had a build up of gunk on my scalp - not sure if this was the shampoo or not, but I have been trying some other products - none of which seem to clean my hair very well.  Hair is feeling tacky, not soft, clean or shiny.

I have colored treated hair and wash about 2-3 x per week.  Any suggestions for a good shampoo & conditioner?  I see there are a lot of new brands out I've never heard of that get good reviews on Sephora and other online websites.  Some of the brands are Briogeo(sp?) and Arnika(sp?) and Drunken Elephant. 

My hair is straight, color-treated and fine, but I'm told I have a LOT of hair.  It used to run towards the oily side, but now it tends to just feel tacky.  I live in a sub-tropical climate - warm most of the year, lots of humidity, but frizz is not really a problem for me.  Suggestions please?

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shampoo & Conditioner Suggestions

My favorite brand for shampoo and conditiiner is Bumble & Bumble. I have fine, bone straight hair. There are several in this line I like. Right now, I am using the volumizing set from Bumble & Bumble. It is pricey, but it is one of the few shampoo  / conditioners that actually make a difference in my hair.

Honored Contributor

Maybe you could try an apple cider vinegar rinse to get rid of buildup and you might find you won't need to switch your brand. 

Respected Contributor

I user WOW shampoo and conditioner. Love the stuff. I get it on amazon or through their site when they have coupons. My hair is thinning and they have DHT blockers in it. They also have different shampoo's for different needs. 

Frequent Contributor

About 6 years ago my stylist told me my hair was like straw. I switched to Nexxus Therappe and Humectress and she still remarks on what great condition my hair is in. 

Esteemed Contributor

S&Cs seem to be so personal. I've gone through the gamut of low end, high, CCs, sulfate & sulfate free.... 

I have normal hair texture, but "heavy."

Once I hit upon Carol's Daughter Cupuacu, my search was over. All except for the fact that they discontinued making it.

But thankfully, Sacred Tiare performs just as consistently well for me. I never liked Monoi, which is supposed to be for breakage. Sacred T. does not promote breakage. It is sulfate-free, which is not necessarily a requirement for me. ("Lathers" nicely, though.)

I never have build up, but I don't use gels or sprays. My hair feels the best it's ever felt!

Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

I'd been using Paul Mitchell Awapuhi shampoo & conditioner for about 1 1/2 years, and really liked it.  It cleaned my hair well and smelled divine.  Didn't suffer any hair loss.  But after using it for so long, I felt I had a build up of gunk on my scalp - not sure if this was the shampoo or not, but I have been trying some other products - none of which seem to clean my hair very well.  Hair is feeling tacky, not soft, clean or shiny.

I have colored treated hair and wash about 2-3 x per week.  Any suggestions for a good shampoo & conditioner?  I see there are a lot of new brands out I've never heard of that get good reviews on Sephora and other online websites.  Some of the brands are Briogeo(sp?) and Arnika(sp?) and Drunken Elephant. 

My hair is straight, color-treated and fine, but I'm told I have a LOT of hair.  It used to run towards the oily side, but now it tends to just feel tacky.  I live in a sub-tropical climate - warm most of the year, lots of humidity, but frizz is not really a problem for me.  Suggestions please?

@jellyBEAN   Does your shampoo, conditioner or styling products have silicones...any words that end in "...cone". They cause buildup and the tacky feeling you describe. Even though I carefully read my product labels, once a month I use a clarifying shampoo...Paul Mitchell has one, but I use old fashioned Neutrogena Anti-residue Shampoo. Hair feels like it has a fresh start. 

Frequent Contributor

I would first suggest you find a clarifying shampoo to use once a week, especially with what you’re describing. I’ve recently tried a brand I found at ULTA called Klorane and I love the stuff! They’ve got a handful of options for different concerns.
Valued Contributor

@Re: Shampoo & Conditioner Suggestions

@jellyBEAN 

Hi Have always had fine hair and now at 57 it was starting to thin slightly. I have a salt and pepper pixie . I was using Maison 276 and while I enjoyed it found my hair just wasn't looking and feeling the way I wanted it to . I belong to a few  older and silver hair blogs and women were speaking about the brand Better not Younger . I decided to take the plunge ,when I had some points to redeem at Sephora . I also purchase from their website . They are currently having a sale for World Menopause day 2020 (20% off ) . They have an activated charcoal scalp cleanser with a little brush that you comb thru your hair . The hair thickener and fortifying scalp serum are amazing. I cannot believe my hair . There is less breakage and the fullness with just the thickener is amazing . I have a pixie and I can push it up and style it like Sharon Stones pixie from a few years ago . 

Respected Contributor

Re: @Re: Shampoo & Conditioner Suggestions

Biolage ColorLast Shampoo and Conditioner Duo Set, 33.8 Oz

@jellyBEAN  I think that Biolage is a great product. I'm going to try the Biolage triple butter shampoo and conditioner.