Respected Contributor

Severe cracking at corners of mouth

I am at my wits end- Although I am sure mask wearing makes it worse, it began before then- The corners of my lips crack so badly that sometimes they bleed- sometimes it is like a fissure, and then sometimes they are fine- I have tried all manner of lip balms, ointments etc- Blistex Chapstick, OKeefes, Olive oil, CBD, Carmex you name it- BUT, if you have a suggestion, I am open- My lips are not particularly dry, nor is my skin.. I take biotin and Lysine, collagen, Vit D and Vit A (both by prescription)

I dont often wear lipstick , but honestly there are days when I am glad to be wearing a mask, it is that unsightly- then other days, back to normal!

Could it be toothpaste or something I am eating? some kid of face cream? (I am careful not to get anything near my lips when applying - I do not wear foundation-

Ladies, what do you suggest? sometimes it hurts to smile!

Respected Contributor

Re: Severe cracking at corners of mouth

@Mothertrucker 

See a dermatologist....could be a simple Vitamin C issue.  Cracks can become breeding areas for bacteria or viruses.

Not something to fool with.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker    Before you get into bed tonight get out the Vaseline.  You should get some relief but I also suggest seeing a Dermatologist.  I hope you feel better.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mothertrucker  - I had the same thing not too long ago.  Nothing over the counter would clear it up.  Had to go to the doc and got an RX and it cleared up right away.

You don't need to go to a dermatologist.  Just your regular primary.

Valued Contributor

Lots of things can factor into cracked lips.  Food/diet and any related deficiencies are definitely one of them. (B vitamins, zinc, iron, etc.)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The condition is called angular cheilitis. Try using an antibiotic ointment, for example Neosporin.

My stepdaughter wore braces and had that happen to her.

Honored Contributor

I would try neosporin pain relief ointment.  It also heals.  It's the only thing that got me thru the winter with my cracking and bleeding cuticles.  Could not have gotten any sleep without it.

Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker 

I would ask @Shanus whom works with makeup and skin care.  I have never heard of your issue.

You may need a sugar exfoliation to get off dead skin then Vaseline. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
Occasional Contributor

Here is your perfect solution! Same thing happened me, my Dr recommended Aquaphor.  Buy a tube in any drugstore and put a small amount on your lips and the corners of your mouth a few times a day until you only need to put it on at bedtime.  It is basically 
"medical-grade vaseline" but it works wonders with no taste or smell.  You'll love what it does for you!  Good luck.