Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Setting Sprays. Are They Drying?

[ Edited ]

So far my experience with Smashbox Primer/Setting Spray and UD's new All Nighter Ultra Matte haven't been too good.  First I tried the All Nighter.  Shook well and spritzed.  What I got was what looked like a face full of splattered white paint! Smiley Surprised  It was all over my face, my eyelashes, hair, clothes and vanity.  I sat there for a few seconds in a daze.  Blotted some of it off and pressed some of it into my face.  My face felt like it had a mask on it.  When I looked in the mirror later last night, I couldn't believe how horribly DRY and cakey my face was.  YUCK!

Today I tried the Smashbox primer/setting spray. Better and smells lovely!  Makeup stayed on.  Blush had not worn off 10 hours later.  But, again I felt dryer than normal and my normal is already too dry despite the use of HA, argon oil and moisturizer.

If you have dry skin, are you able to use a setting spray?

Valued Contributor

Re: Setting Sprays. Are They Drying?

I brought Urba Decay de-slick some time ago.  I do have dry skin and it has worked perfectly for me.  I even wore it on a long flight where the cabin air is dry without any issues.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Try to find one that is alcohol free, Urban Decay is not. 

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

So far my experience with Smashbox Primer/Setting Spray and UD's new All Nighter Ultra Matte haven't been too good.  First I tried the All Nighter.  Shook well and spritzed.  What I got was what looked like a face full of splattered white paint! Smiley Surprised  It was all over my face, my eyelashes, hair, clothes and vanity.  I sat there for a few seconds in a daze.  Blotted some of it off and pressed some of it into my face.  My face felt like it had a mask on it.  When I looked in the mirror later last night, I couldn't believe how horribly DRY and cakey my face was.  YUCK!

Today I tried the Smashbox primer/setting spray. Better and smells lovely!  Makeup stayed on.  Blush had not worn off 10 hours later.  But, again I felt dryer than normal and my normal is already too dry despite the use of HA, argon oil and moisturizer.

If you have dry skin, are you able to use a setting spray?

Smashbox Primer Water is probably my all time favorite. I use it before and after Makeup. I have the Ben Nye Final Seal, and that stuff is no joke!! I only use it when I need my makeup to last and last, and I may not have time for a touch up. It’s not for everybody. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have super sensitive skin so I use Bobbi Brown translucent setting powder. It goes on so light and lasts. It is what works for me. 

Respected Contributor

I use UD All nighter (not matte), no problems with it. It's not drying and no residue and I spray quite a bit. Also like Too Faced hangover primer/setting spray.  Most sprays are claiming to be hydrating.  Mario Badescu rose water spray is very nice as well.

Honored Contributor

This is a product I just don't use.  

Maybe if I had oily skin or super dry skin I would feel differently but my own personal opinion is if I need a setting spray to keep my make-up in check all day, I need to find different make-up.  I have no issue with my make-up staying put from 7:30 a.m. until I take it off at night, usually around 9:00 p.m.

I did buy a Wet N Wild primer/setting spray and I used it because I like the way it felt on my skin.  It was cheap so I figured why not.  I used it as a primer.  When I replaced it with the cucumber version, it broke my skin out so I tossed it.

UD All Nighter also broke my skin out as well.   I have watched some YouTubers who are really touting the Hourglass Veil Soft Focus setting spray.

Trusted Contributor

I have tried a ton of setting sprays over the years as up until recently my skin has been oily.  It's not very oily now, but I still like to use a spray especially after using powder.  My favorites are the Morphe Continuing Setting Mist and the Algenist Splash Hydrating Setting Mist.

The Morphe has the finest spray I've ever found in a setting spray and it's not expensive.  The Algenist does't have quite as fine a mist, but it also has a great spray nozzle and never leaves any droplets.  It is especially good for helping your finishing powder melt into your skin.  It's not cheap but a bottle last a long time as you only need a couple of spritzes every day.  It also is good to spray during the day if your skin is feeling dry.

Neither of them have caused my skin to break out and my skin breaks out easily.

Super Contributor

@lkat wrote:

I have tried a ton of setting sprays over the years as up until recently my skin has been oily.  It's not very oily now, but I still like to use a spray especially after using powder.  My favorites are the Morphe Continuing Setting Mist and the Algenist Splash Hydrating Setting Mist.

The Morphe has the finest spray I've ever found in a setting spray and it's not expensive.  The Algenist does't have quite as fine a mist, but it also has a great spray nozzle and never leaves any droplets.  It is especially good for helping your finishing powder melt into your skin.  It's not cheap but a bottle last a long time as you only need a couple of spritzes every day.  It also is good to spray during the day if your skin is feeling dry.

Neither of them have caused my skin to break out and my skin breaks out easily.

Great recommendations!  As you mentioned, setting sprays take away the powder look on the skin resulting in an amazing finish, which I love.  Definitely going to check out your suggestions👏👏