Super Contributor

Serums vs creams vs both.....

Do you feel that serums are very important and are they more important than a face cream? Or do you feel that you need both products? Would a good face cream work just as well?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Serums vs creams vs both.....

Only serums I use are Devita vitamin C and a hyaluronic acid serum. But I don't use any creams at all, at least not to moisturize. (The AH things I use, Souffle & ResQ are cream based.) Serums are supposed to have better penetration w/ higher percentages of actives, whereas creams stay on top, protecting the surface skin.

Both, of course, are useful.

Super Contributor

Supposedly serums get the good stuff into the skin better than moisturizers, using both would be ideal for the best results.

It also depends what results you're going for.

Super Contributor

I need both but I have heard that for oily skin a serum may be all you need. I do think that in general you get the most benefit from serums.

Honored Contributor

I'd opt for a good serum. The thinner consistency will penetrate deeper. Someone posted a video link on here yesterday (think it might have been wackers). The woman in the video was 57 and had gorgeous skin. She doesn't use moisturizer at all. The theory was that moisturizers address the surface of the skin and can actually slow down the natural moisture production because the brain isn't getting any signals to send moisture. Anyway, I thought I'd give this "no moisturizer skin care" a try. Last night I cleansed, toned, and used my Retin-A, no moisturizer. This morning, I exfoliated, cleansed, toned, and used my Vitamin C serum. Again, no moisturizer, but I did use a little eye cream. I followed up with a little BB Cream and light "at home" makeup. My face feels very supple today. There really seems to be enough moisture for me in the BB cream.

Super Contributor

If you don't need a moisturizer, then a serum may be all you need. Just make sure you're using sunscreen to protect your skin too, even if only in your foundation.