Respected Contributor

Re: Serious Skincare SERIOUS BEYOND Intensive Serums

On 6/22/2014 LuvMyBoxer said:
On 6/22/2014 itsMe said:

LuvMyBoxer, which size derma roller do you use, and how often? I'm returning the Tria, and want to start a consistent derma rolling routine. Thanks!

OP…. sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread!

Some experts in the field no longer recommend this, but I still use the .5 mm every day and the 1.5 mm once every 5 weeks. I actually started with 1.5 mm daily, but changed my routine after a few months.

If I'm not mistaken, Rodan and Fields still encourage daily use of the .5 mm. Of more importance though, I've been given the thumbs up by my dermatologist and his nurse practitioner. Smiley Happy

Thanks! I have a 1.5, but realized that I shouldn't use it more than 1x a month. I'm going to get one (or two shorter length units to use more often.

Frequent Contributor

itsMe, you're welcome.

wackers, I have experienced an overall improvement in skin health; color, tone, tightening, brightening, reduction in wrinkles and my acne breakouts are greatly diminished. I also use Tazorac nightly and have for years.

I respectfully disagree that my doctor's opinion is different than the majority. Admittedly, some have changed their beliefs with respect to frequency. My derm has not (he certainly isn't alone based on my research). I am not surprised that there are differences of opinion with respect to dermarolling...the same is true for virtually every medical/aesthetic procedure known to man. In reality, there are probably many doctors that believe one should not roll at all.

Additionally, I don't propose to know when/how my collagen is rebuilding following a daily assault/injury. Maybe it's not. All that I know is that my skin looks good and my doctor is onboard with my regimen.

Trusted Contributor

The .2 mm and .3 mm are recommended for use 3 to 4 times a week as they really help in the absorption of our serums. I will eventually start using a .5 once a month and then a .2 or .3 maybe 3 times a week. I see no reason, personally, to be over aggressive as I don't want to counteract their benefit by using too frequently.

It is a fact that injured skin/collagen will take at least 30 days to rebuild itself - if a .5 can sufficiently damage the collagen, then why use anything deeper? That just seems to be so unnecessarily harsh and collagen will not rebuild itself properly if it keeps being reinjured. that's not my opinion - that is how our skin functions.

The rebuilding takes place in the collagen under the skin so the results are not truly visible until it has finished it's rebuilding process.

Maren has pointed this out before here that many like the plumping they notice from rolling which is due to the damaging of the skin - once you eventually allow it to heal thoroughly, that plumping will subside yet hopefully the skin will show more permanent fullness from the process . But it takes time - 18 months is what I have read for realistic expectations though everyone responds differently.

Trusted Contributor

On 6/22/2014 LuvMyBoxer said:

itsMe, you're welcome.

wackers, I have experienced an overall improvement in skin health; color, tone, tightening, brightening, reduction in wrinkles and my acne breakouts are greatly diminished. I also use Tazorac nightly and have for years.

I respectfully disagree that my doctor's opinion is different than the majority. Admittedly, some have changed their beliefs with respect to frequency. My derm has not (he certainly isn't alone based on my research). I am not surprised that there are differences of opinion with respect to dermarolling...the same is true for virtually every medical/aesthetic procedure known to man. In reality, there are probably many doctors that believe one should not roll at all.

Additionally, I don't propose to know when/how my collagen is rebuilding following a daily assault/injury. Maybe it's not. All that I know is that my skin looks good and my doctor is onboard with my regimen.

LuvMyBoxer - hey, if it works for you then go for it. And I am not criticizing you for your personal approach - that's for you to decide and no-one else. I just don't want others to jump into this without being well informed and some just might do so and potentially damage their skin. No-one would want that and I assume you would feel the same way.

When it comes to the skin, whatever one chooses to do, the more informed everyone is, the better. I do know that many derms don't like rolling period as they feel it is too risky for patients to just start sticking needles into their skin. And that's understandable. Other have a strong preference for the frequency and the mm depth. And yes, it will vary widely.

My only hope is that whoever consider this as an option does their homework, reads as much on the topic as they can stand to, and makes an informed decision for themselves. We all have very unique skin too and what might work well for one, might be potentially scarring for another. Some do not have skin that is as tolerant and I'd hate to hear of anyone permanently damaging themselves, based solely on what they read here and nowhere else. I also think most should check with their own dermatologists who know their skin better than any of us do.

Trusted Contributor

On 6/22/2014 wackers said:
On 6/22/2014 ElvisShops said:

Why would you be nervous about trying them? Or is it because you hesitate to use any oil base products on your face? Many of the oils so many are now using on their face actually seem to be balancing their skin, meaning if it is oily, it seems to normalize it and if it is dry, some seem to feel they normalize that too (I don't use oils regularly enough to determine if they could balance my dry skin.) I know some have had luck with them decreasing breakouts too.

I was at a local store yesterday, similar to a Whole Foods and they have a pretty decent selection of skincare products. I noticed that a few of the Vit C serums were in an oil base solution where they used oil soluble Vit C. It reminded me of this new SSC product.

Hey, kudos to them if they created two great serums. No reason they can't do it like any other skincare line.

I'm squeamish about putting any oil of any kind on my face. My face is normal to oily, and I have spent a lifetime hunting oil-free products. I realize some oils are good for the skin, but I worry about clogging my pores.

Elvis - That is what I sensed was behind your hesitation. It is not easy to change directions when you have spent decades focusing on one specific path, is it? I really don't think you have to be as concerned as your are. Oils today are proving to be really beneficial for many skin issues, including acne, breakouts, etc. When I first tried Argon Oil, years ago now (not long after Josie's hit the market,) the Sales Associate telling me about it just raved how it had totally cleared up her skin (from breaking out.)

The other consideration is Jennifer, the owner of SSC, really suffered from acne, even when she was doing major modeling (Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, as one example) and she is so incredibly sensitive to that issue, I seriously doubt she would release any product that would antagonize or increase that possibility. I remember Jennifer when she first started on HSN with the acne line created by the founder - she was as shy as could be and you could clearly sense her personal struggle with horrible acne (they showed before pics of Jenn and her acne was bad.) You had to feel for her. I never have suffered from this but I wasn't born with normal oil glands either. I am the complete opposite as my skin has been dry from birth. I remember one product they did sell that I loved and it was a Vitamin C shampoo - that shampoo would even prevent bangs from getting dirty and oily. Loved that stuff but they eventually stopped selling the original version.

If you really do become tempted, I would not let the worry about oils prevent you. #1 - you can always return them so you are not stuck with anything and #2 - if the reviews continue to be good, why deprive yourself from trying something that you and your skin might benefit from. If reviews continue to be really good, then more and more will give it a chance. Heck, I might even be one of them.

Eventually, you may also want to consider a serious look into oils because they can be so beneficial and they are so easy. Read up on them, check reviews and even ask here what everyone likes and why. Also add that you are most leery about breakouts and which oil or oils are least likely to cause that reaction at all. I would guess that none of the most popular oils used today have caused that reaction - they are just not like the oils of the yesteryear. That's a good thing, right?

Yep, I'm an oilaphobe. Smiley Happy

I will continue watching the reviews to see if they remain mostly positive.

Regular Contributor

On 6/22/2014 Katharita said:

Here's a review. I think it's the same poster twice.

http://community.qvc.com/forums/beauty-banter/topic/452396/serious-skin-care-new-serious-beyond-am-...

http://community.qvc.com/forums/beauty-banter/topic/451184/ssc-serious-c-serious-beyond.aspx

It can not be the same poster twice on HSN unless they were to have made 2 separate purchases under two separate names, address, cc etc. HSN only allows those who've actually purchased the product to review them once - their reviews are a lot more genuine, imo because you know the reviewer really did buy the product. Not like QVC where one can review something even if they've never bought/used it and they can review multiple times. There are no stipulations for QVC reviews. If QVC doesn't want to limit reviews, they could at least make a notation by the review stating "reviewer did purchase this product" as Amazon does, so those reading them can tell who bought them and who did not.

Sorry if my post was not clear. I posted two links to two different Q board threads and I meant that the same person started both threads and both threads contain product reviews.