Respected Contributor

Serious SkinCare Micro Needling Kit??

[ Edited ]

I see they are offering this on Evine now...it is a encore presentation but seems to be new for them for today and the weekend.  It seems to be a good deal just not sure micro needling is for me....I have sensitive skin/rosacea.  They do list the amount of needles per roller....plus the depth which seems modest and perhaps thats good for someone like myself.  You also get all the heads for face & body.

If you have experience with mirco needling how does this kit compare to what you are using?  I know the price is much much better then the other line offered here at Q...forget the name...and this SSC one seems to be better.  

Thoughts??

Another question are you supposed to toss these "heads" every few months...do they wear out? theirs is made of titanium so I thought you just use them for a long time.  Confused LOL

Respected Contributor

Re: Serious SkinCare Micro Needling Kit??

I am interested! I like SSC and have used and like several products, and they don’t break the bank. Although I am trying to shop less, my skin is so sun damaged ( when I was a teen, i FRIED my face, Back then we didn’t know what We were doing 😭). So I have been wanting to try microneedling, to see if it would help- I am considering the kit...

Valued Contributor

It is made in China. Ebay has a similar kit for about 11 dollars if you order direct from sellers that are in China. They are titanium. 

And you do have to throw them out after awhile. I only dermaroll once a month and I throw mine out after I've used it 5 or 6 times. This is what works for me, but I know others have their own methods.

Respected Contributor

I bought my derma roller on amazon for about $12..but in this kit you get 5 different rollers, so i thought I would give it a try..

It worried me that they  didnt talk about staying out of the sun while derma rolling or about not using makeup for 24 hours  (at least) after- The  Derm recommends both-  Hopefully their instrucitons will contain those warnings-

Additionally, they seemed to show the hosts and Jennifer Derma Rolling  while wearing makeup, which is a NO NO!

Remember, you are making tiny holes in the skin, through which  infection can be introduced very easily- you do not want any foreign substance being "needled" into your skin.

Honored Contributor

Microneedle devices, both titanium and steel, need to be replaced regularly just like you would a razor. These things get dull and, depending how often you use them, most needle devices should be replaced about every 3 months, especially if you use it frequently. Most devices are made to perform at it's optimum for usually 6 times. Then after that the needles will start getting dull. The needles will still penetrate the skin but the channels in the skin they create will not be as deep or as 'clean' as when the needles were brand new. You will eventually notice that after the needles start getting dull then you will see that your skin care products won't absorb as well. 

The following lists the pros and cons of stainless steel and titanium:

1. Stainless steel microneedles

Advantages:
  • Extremely sharp
  • Extremely hygienic
  • Easy to clean and to sterilize
Disadvantages:
  • Not as durable as titanium
  •  Prone to wear and tear

2. Titanium alloy microneedles

Advantages:

• Extremely durable and robust
  • Highly resistant to wear and tear
  •  Highly resistant to bending
  •  More aesthetically pleasing, particularly the gold-plated varieties.
Disadvantages:
  • Unhygienic
  • Requires more cleaning and sterilizing
  •  Needles not as sharp as stainless steel

I have used both metals and I see and feel not significant difference between the two kinds of metal. This might be because I replace my devices regularly and never use them beyond 6 usages. For me this is important because it's my skin and I want to treat it the best I can.  

Respected Contributor

Thank you for the replies ladies....I am just not sure micro needling is for me....now understanding that you need to replace them every 3mo's plus the idea I could do something wrong and cause my skin to break out makes me hesitate due to my rosacea.  Just not sure it would help me....many things with this disease just don't work well together.  

Valued Contributor

@tsavorite  This is just my opinion, but if I had rosecea, I wouldn't go near a dermaroller, or at the very least, I would ask my dermatologist about it. Heart

Honored Contributor

@beautybee wrote:

@tsavorite  This is just my opinion, but if I had rosecea, I wouldn't go near a dermaroller, or at the very least, I would ask my dermatologist about it. Heart

I would have to agree on this. 

Respected Contributor

I will have to check out Evine today.  I have a question on Microneedling.  Can you still do it if you are faux tanning your face?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sunnycorle wrote:

I will have to check out Evine today.  I have a question on Microneedling.  Can you still do it if you are faux tanning your face?  

With SSC needle lengths, there will be exfoliation. So you will probably see your tan go away faster.  Also, I would not apply self-tanners right after using a microneedlle and wait until the next day. Self-tanners are not made to be absorbed but rather made to 'tan' the outside of the skin.