Honored Contributor

Re: Sephora vs Ulta Take Two

@Sammijo10 wrote:

I live 10 minutes from an Ulta and besides a small Sephora inside a local JC Penney, the closest FULL Sephora is a 30 minute drive away.  I'll buy from both and find if I want higher end products, I'll buy from Sephora online.  

That said, I love my local Ulta.  The sales staff are always more than helpful. They know their products and can steer you in the direction of what you're looking for. There are several who have gone to great lengths to go in the back to look for an item I'm looking for me.  I recently ordered the new Even Better Clinique foundation at Ulta online (there was a promo of a free concealer and moisturizer) and when it arrived and I clearly chose the wrong shade, they took it back in the store no questions asked and spent a lot of time with me choosing the correct shade.  Yes, the decor resembles a 'supermarket',and the atmosphere is not as glamorous as a Sephora, but IMHO the sales staff make it.  Also, I think the haircare section is larger at Ulta.  I've also had mini facials at Ulta and they were wonderful and inexpensive.  

Sephora is very hit or miss.  I seem to be invisible to the sales staff upon entering.  I don't have grey hair (showing!), but there's no mistaking that I'm not the 30 something that they prefer to have shopping there.  I'll order online if it's an item I know I will keep.

So for customer service, for me, it's Ulta.

@Sammijo10, it's funny about the invisible thing.  Most of the time I actually prefer being invisible since I either know what I want or just want to browse.  But, I don't like feeling invisible when it's obvious (to me) that I want help.  

Regular Contributor

@Shanus - I totally agree with you about Nordstrom!  I'd much rather peruse their makeup counters than Sephora's anymore.  Their sales associates are knowledgeable and helpful; plus, the anniversary sale makeup items are just too much fun to shop for! Free shipping (as you mentioned) with no minumum is too good to pass up.

I have ordered online from both Ulta and Nordstrom during the pandemic.  Have not been in a physical store for over a year, and probably won't go until I'm vaccinated. Sephora, sad to say, has kind of taken a back seat for me.  I used to LOVE to go into one and browse the shelves - truly felt like a kid in a candy store.  Now I feel more excited to visit an Ulta and/or a Nordstrom when they are stocked and times are safer.       

Honored Contributor

Uh no.  If I typed that, it was a mistake but I don't think I did.  That does't even make sense now does it!  Good grief.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

So....you're mad at Ulta for not giving you a pre-paid return label for an item that you bought at Sephora.

Yeah, that's not Ulta's fault. 

And of course Sephora was quicker. That was where you bought the item.

@Anonymous032819 , I think you missed the point.

Honored Contributor

I think I stated previously that I have never been inside an Ulta store.  I've ordered from them on-line a couple of times. 

I almost always have a gift card for Sephora, getting to a Sephora is more convenient for me and I've never had an issue so that's who gets my money.  For quite awhile Sephora has been offering free s/h no matter how much you spend.  Ulta s/h is expensive IMO.

I understand that Ulta also sells drugstore make-up but if I want drugstore make-up, I'll go to a drugstore to buy it.  Anytime I've looked at drugstore make-up on-line at Ultra, it is quite a bit higher than say Target so why would I buy from them?