Trusted Contributor

Re: Sephora to open in 200 Kohl’s Stores

Ah, this explains why their stock of Lorac lipstick is low.  Time to spend my Kohl's cash on new lippies.

Thanks for the heads up. 

Respected Contributor

i worked at a kohl's and the shoplifting, from the beauty dept. is terrible. they can't even leave demos, out, or they are gone, in days. Kohl's doesn't staff, the beauty dept. full time, so maybe sephora will have better luck.

shoplifting is out of control and the store can only do so much.

Respected Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

Wonder if it will be like the stores they had in J C Penney?

The stores in Penney's did not honor some of the Sephora benefits.  I never understood that and did not shop with them often. 

My local news says 200 stores, but other news say 850 stores.

@4kitties , I was told my an employee at my JCP/Sephora that they were employees of JCP and not of Sephora. Also when they issue a credit it's in the form of a JCP gift card and not a Sephora gift card.

Honored Contributor

Sephora is after that "money."   I think it is a great match.  As I remember, Kohls never had a great makeup dept.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I just read latest article, says it will be 850 stores. 

Trusted Contributor

I just found an article on it.  I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link or not (it's just a news article), but I'll try anyway.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/01/kohls-to-open-850-sephora-beauty-shops-in-its-stores-by-2023.html

Apparently they are going to make Sephora visible from the outside of the store.  It doesn't look like a store within a story like Penney's.  Sephora will have its own separate entrance.

I'm sure this is old news, but I didn't realize that Ulta was also opening in Target.  Very interesting! 

I love both makeup stores and shop at both Kohl's and Target, so this is a total win for me, assuming it happens in my stores, which it probably will.  I'm on Long Island, near an area where many people come to shop, so it's likely.  I'm especially excited about Sephora because I'm not a huge mall shopper and rarely shop there in person anymore because of that. 

We'll see!

Respected Contributor

@lmt wrote:

Kohl's used to have a very good beauty department years ago.

The one makeup line I loved was American Beauty. Ashley Judd represented the brand. I remember I loved one of their mascaras; they also had wonderful eye shadows and blushes.

I can't remember the name, but they also had a wonderful line of skincare. Their masks were the best! I remember reading that the line was actually from Origins and made especially for Kohl's.

The last time I was in my local Kohl's (probably about a year ago) there was almost no beauty products. What was left looked like old stock. Lots of stuff was on clearance. 

I hope they don't discontinue the Pixi line. I love their skincare and they sometimes offer 20% off. On Black Friday they had 50% off some of my favorite products.

@lmt    You can get Pixi at Target.

Respected Contributor

Not sure how great this is.  I visited Sephora at JCP a few times and they never seemed to carry anything I was interested in buying.  But I've never been impressed with Kohl's beauty section so maybe it will be an improvement.  

Respected Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@lmt wrote:

Kohl's used to have a very good beauty department years ago.

The one makeup line I loved was American Beauty. Ashley Judd represented the brand. I remember I loved one of their mascaras; they also had wonderful eye shadows and blushes.

I can't remember the name, but they also had a wonderful line of skincare. Their masks were the best! I remember reading that the line was actually from Origins and made especially for Kohl's.

The last time I was in my local Kohl's (probably about a year ago) there was almost no beauty products. What was left looked like old stock. Lots of stuff was on clearance. 

I hope they don't discontinue the Pixi line. I love their skincare and they sometimes offer 20% off. On Black Friday they had 50% off some of my favorite products.

@lmt    You can get Pixi at Target.

@panda1234   Yes, I've seen Pixi at Target and at Ulta, too.

I liked that Kohl's carried the line because I could use Kohl's cash. I'm sure that once Sephora is up and running they'll probably discontinue the Pixi line. I just checked online and alot of their products are no longer listed. 

Frequent Contributor

Kohls has made several strategic partnerships lately that has boosted their brand for me and the likelihood that I will visit.  First they accept Amazon returns.  Then they added Lands End to their lineup.  Now Sephora.  Seems like their management team is headed in the right direction.