Respected Contributor

Sephora has lost their minds

Ours just opened recently so I stopped in yesterday.

Upon entering they sanitized my hands and told me if I could not touch anything and to call an associate if I need something. 

I wanted to see a lipstick so a saleswomen came over to help me

1- she sprayed the lipstick with alcohol 

2- she wiped it down on a paper towel, sprayed it again

3-she took a cotton swab and rubbed it on the lipstick to get the sample

4- she wipes the sample on a piece of clear plastic then holds it on my hand.

5- then starts the sanitizing of the lipstick project over again. 

I asked her why she could not hand the cotton swab to me so could apply the sample to the back of my hand.

She said they must use the clear plastic sheets.

I walked out.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sephora has lost their minds

These are certainly crazy times!  Don't you feel like we're living in the twilight zone?!

Valued Contributor

I find this to be a good thing. Sorry you were upset. She was trying to keep people safe. How many people do you think may just touch all sorts of stuff -- and if they are carrying the virus, then it spreads. The spread MUST stop or we are stuck here forever.

Honored Contributor

I went yesterday and was told I couldn't touch anything.  I just looked around. It is definitely different.  I didn't know it was that much of a pain to see something.  I didn't ask to see anything.  Glad I didn't.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl that's insane, I would have walked out too. You would think sales are way down for Sephora, they would do anything to accommodate you instead of losing a sale. It's better and easier at this point to order online.

Honored Contributor

Better safe then sorry to stop the spread. 

Honored Contributor

Actually I'd rather they did that than what was going on before.  

I haven't been in a Sephora for at least 10 years I guess.  The last one I was in was clogged with a bunch of people and KIDS all pawing around in the products.  

I was totally disgusted and haven't been back.  So I would much prefer this way, and think maybe they should keep on with the plastic and the alcohol!  Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@BriggsiePeawiggle wrote:

I find this to be a good thing. Sorry you were upset. She was trying to keep people safe. How many people do you think may just touch all sorts of stuff -- and if they are carrying the virus, then it spreads. The spread MUST stop or we are stuck here forever.

How in the world is what they are doing helping STOP the spread???

The step where they place the sample on the piece of clear plastic on holding onto my body is the point of cross-contamination.   If the salesperson does not thoroughly wash between each and every person she is spreading everything from the cold and flu to COVID.

If she would have handed me the swab using clean -technique it would have been SAFER and more effective for me to sample the product.  WIN-WIN

Or she could have put a sample in a container and sent me off to sample it at home.

Adding ridiculous steps does NOT make things SAFER it creates more points of failure= greater risks.

Trusted Contributor

and exactly why it signals the end of retail - no need for an actual physical entity when one can just buy stuff in their online store.

Honored Contributor

How sad that to attempt to create safety we have to have so many barriers.   But, if I were shopping in an area of known viral presence, I'd be happy to every sort of protection.

My personal protection?   I have lipstick that in normal times I'd say was so far beyond its expiration date that I would discard it.  Now?  I don't need much and I figure it's just as safe to use what I have as to walk into a store and shop, so that's what I'll do.