Trusted Contributor

Re: Sephora & Ulta sales - what are you buying?

[ Edited ]

@sueeich  Oh, great, another new product to try!  Smiley MadSmiley LOL  I see they have a travel size, maybe I'll give that a try one of these days.  What's the difference between regular and sheer?  I see two versions.

@homedecor1  What IT Cosmetics products did you buy?  I've never bought anything from QVC, but have bought a few little things here and there from Sephora and Ulta, when I can get a good deal or a sale or something on clearance.  I've really enjoyed trying that line.  I haven't liked all the products, but I still enjoyed trying them.  I have some of their brushes and they're very nice.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've always been a bigger fan of Sephora than Ulta, but decided to go with Ulta this time because the discount was 5% more.  What a mistake!  Never again.

I've had items in my Sephora cart all week waiting for this weekend for the 15% VIB but got an email from Ulta that their discount was 20% so decided to go with them.  Added three pricey items to my cart last night and figured I'd check again this morning and maybe add more. When I checked this morning (had left browser open), my cart was empty.  No big deal....I added the three items again along with another one and placed order.  Made sure my discount was applied and checked price.

Shortly after I received an email and it showed that the three items from last night had a quantity of 2 and my order amount was almost doubled.  Called them immediately and after almost 30 minutes on phone between guest services and order cancellation was told that my order was cancelled and was issued another discount code (this was mid-morning).  Went back online and ordered one of each item and applied new discount code.

Just received an email that my order was unable to be cancelled and I can return the items to a local store when I get them.  This is so annoying!  Now I have to wait for the package and make a special trip to Ulta and hope that they credit me before I get my credit card bill  (always pay off entire bill each month so no interest).  Between this, the time I wasted on hold after their website screwed up, the fact they don't give samples as easily in the store as Sephora, etc. and the inaccuracy of Ulta's website showing products as being in stock at local stores only to find they are out of stock, I think I'm done with them.  The aggravation was defintely not worth the extra 5% discount.

Sorry for the long rant!  I do feel better after venting though Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@Stargazer77

I bought IT cosmetics:

Bye bye under eye concealer -- not illuminating

BB cream 

Confidence in a Compact - Spf 50

These were products I bought from Q that I liked.  Even at ULTA without sale they were still cheaper (q never imo does any big price break) with no shipping fees.  

the IT moisturizer / eye serums for me are too thick & heavy.  Wasn't thrilled with cleanser either.  I got them in my last tsv.

My new favorite skincare is from Beekman 1802 (Evine) milk trio (cleanser, micro beads & moisturizer) and charcoal scrub.

Super Contributor

@sueeich wrote:

When I get the 20% off coupon from Ulta, I always restock my liter container of Pureology Hydrate conditioner.  It's normally $68 for a litre which is still much cheaper per ounce than the 8 oz. bottle, but I have a hard time paying full price.  I've been using Pureology Hydrate for probably 10 years.  I try other conditoners from time-to-time but always go back to the Pureology.  It's just the perfect conditoner for my hair and leaves my hair soft and shiny and tangle-free.  Love it!

Mark you calendar, ULTA usually has a liter sale in July/August timeframe each year. I purchase my yearly hair care supply. ;-)

Esteemed Contributor

So I went into Sephora today and boy was it busy now that everyone who is a beauty insider can redeem their 10 percent off code. So I only bought the full size 1.7 oz or 50 ml Tocca Stella Eau de Parfum. Basically I saved the tax on the purchase. The regular price has gone up to $94 CDN dollars so I saved about $10 but paid about the same in taxes on the purchase.

It was too busy in the Sephora store for me to want to spend any more time than I had to since I don't like a really crowded store very much. I probably won't go back and test out the Sephora foundation with sunscreen in it. I never buy from Sephora's website, only in store.

Frequent Contributor

@shoesnbags Have you tried the Dandelion Dew liquid blush?  I really love it. I can wear either the powder or the liquid, and sometimes use the powder over the liquid for a long lasting look.

Valued Contributor

@Stargazer77 wrote:

@sueeich  Oh, great, another new product to try!  Smiley MadSmiley LOL  I see they have a travel size, maybe I'll give that a try one of these days.  What's the difference between regular and sheer?  I see two versions.

@homedecor1  What IT Cosmetics products did you buy?  I've never bought anything from QVC, but have bought a few little things here and there from Sephora and Ulta, when I can get a good deal or a sale or something on clearance.  I've really enjoyed trying that line.  I haven't liked all the products, but I still enjoyed trying them.  I have some of their brushes and they're very nice.

While my hair is generally straight, it does have a slight wave.  I have a lot of hair but the individual strands are fine and they tend to tangle very easily.  Because I have a lot of hair, my hair can easily be weighed down by products that are too rich.  I also tend to have an oily scalp (My skin tends to be more oily, too.) but the ends can be drier since I highlight about 4 times per year.  I use the regular Pureology Hydrate conditioner for my hair and it provides the perfect amount of conditioning and detangling without ever weighing my hair down.  I have tried the sheer version in the past but didn't care for it.  It didn't detangle as well as the regular version and left my hair feeling dry.  I think the sheer version would be for people that have extremely fine hair not prone to tangles.

Respected Contributor

To enable more.....I can also vouch that the Pureology Hydrate Conditioner is fantastic!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@BostonMom 59 wrote:

@shoesnbags Have you tried the Dandelion Dew liquid blush?  I really love it. I can wear either the powder or the liquid, and sometimes use the powder over the liquid for a long lasting look.

@BostonMom 59

No I haven't, just because I stopped trying liquid blushes a long time ago. When I was younger my skin was just too oily for liquid or gel blushes, and now that it's "normal" I have rosacea on my cheeks. So I just use a light dusting of Dandelion in the powdered form to give a bit of color all over my pale face after using Balance and Brighten to tone down the rosacea. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Super Contributor

Ulta's line today was madness. It was like black Friday crazy. Stocked up on hair products.  Even DH came in to get his Redkin. He took one look at the line and said, "I'm going next door to check out hats."