Respected Contributor

Re: Sephora BI, VIB and Rouge sale soon!

@HappyDaze and @Trix, I share your thoughts regarding Sephora.  I've also cut wayyyy back on makeup purchases and spend my dollars on skincare ingredients.  I don't think there really has been much new in m/u that has blown me away since JM gelees and HourGlass pressed powders that diffuse.  Oops, forgot about Benefit They're Real mascara in brown.

I'm no longer a Rouge and will last as a VIB only through 2016 I'm sure.  I NEVER receive the cards in the mail.  I, along with some others in my zip code, am pretty convinced there is someone in a USPS sorting facility that help themselves to the codes.  Every time I've tried to use the code in store in the past three years or so I doesn't work.  It comes up as already used at checkout.  Every single time and online, too.  In store a manager has to come to the register.  Then she grills me and makes a huge deal of it.  All of this for a measly 15% off this April?  No, thanks.  Too many places to get great deals online.  The last few times in store I've been coaxed into m/u I'm really interested in and when they go to get it it's out of stock.  Then I'm talked into an alternative and it winds up looking awful at home.  

For some reason the new Ulta closest to me is now fantastic.  Glad I have that alternative.  

Valued Contributor

Well,  I have not one but two Sephoras within walking distance, whereas the nearest Ulta is a half hour drive away, so convenience does play a part in my preference. Also, I've made connections with some of the staff, who slip me the occasional treat now and again - nothing huge, but nice just the same.

Apart from that, I just don't find the Ulta that appealing - the coupons can't ever be used for anything I want, and so much of their merchandise can be had for less at discount stores.

I was initially quite happy to have a brick-and-mortar source for Mally and IT, but now it looks like they're doing away with Mally, and the IT selection has begun to suffer somewhat.  I do understand that the stores can differ widely from location to location.

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Honored Contributor

@Bella Carro wrote:

@HappyDaze and @Trix, I share your thoughts regarding Sephora.  I've also cut wayyyy back on makeup purchases and spend my dollars on skincare ingredients.  I don't think there really has been much new in m/u that has blown me away since JM gelees and HourGlass pressed powders that diffuse.  Oops, forgot about Benefit They're Real mascara in brown.

I'm no longer a Rouge and will last as a VIB only through 2016 I'm sure.  I NEVER receive the cards in the mail.  I, along with some others in my zip code, am pretty convinced there is someone in a USPS sorting facility that help themselves to the codes.  Every time I've tried to use the code in store in the past three years or so I doesn't work.  It comes up as already used at checkout.  Every single time and online, too.  In store a manager has to come to the register.  Then she grills me and makes a huge deal of it.  All of this for a measly 15% off this April?  No, thanks.  Too many places to get great deals online.  The last few times in store I've been coaxed into m/u I'm really interested in and when they go to get it it's out of stock.  Then I'm talked into an alternative and it winds up looking awful at home.  

For some reason the new Ulta closest to me is now fantastic.  Glad I have that alternative.  

@Bella Carro good to "see" you around! Hope you are doing well.

I agree with you about focusing more on skincare than makeup these days. I used to buy makeup all the time and loved it so much. I still do- LOVE makeup- but I used to think that it was makeup that made you look good (flawless skin, etc) lol  and never really thought much about skincare (except using SUNSCREEN every day-at least I did that!) because I was so young and silly. Smiley Wink But since starting to use good skincare products 10+ years ago, I've noticed such good changes in my skin and now I don't rely so much on makeup, especially foundation, as I did then. And you are right, not very many "amazing" breakthroughs or must haves in makeup these days. I am super picky about what makeup I buy now and try really hard not to overlap on products, like numerous shadows in the same color family, etc. It feels really good to let my natural skin show through and enhance my good qualities these days. So freeing and, honestly, less time consuiming and cheaper in the long run, lol! Take care and always happy to see you around! Love your posts!

Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

I detest Ulta.  Their coupons work on so few products, they are rude at most stores, theis CS stinks, and their return policy isn't good.  I ONLY  go there on 21 days of beauty or special promo days.

I much prefer Sephora.  Their return policy is so much better as is their CS.

@winamac1, I can take or leave Ulta, but I've not had an ounce of trouble returning items, including items that I used.

One can return in a longer period of time is what I meant.  I think Ulta is 60 days  Sephora is around 6 monthsl.

@winamac1, got it. :-) Actually, I don't think Sephora even has a deadline.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

The Ulta coupons which are in the printed flyers which are in newspapers and come out weekly or bi-weekly do exclude prestige brands of cosmetics and haircare.  However,  3 or 4 times per year they do have a storewide coupon which can be used for every brand in inventory.  It's promoted via postcard and email alert to members of their loyalty program.  

I'd like to clarify I only said Ulta's loyalty program is better than Sephora's.  The in-store experience at Sephora is wonderful.  The store is set up for browsing and playing. Store management must make sure members of the sales staff spend time with vendor reps to get an overview of  the brands they sell.  Ulta is improving in this regard, and upgrading and renovating their stores.  I do think that most of the negative reactions to Beauty Insider is more about being able to get some kind of deal on most of the brands sold at Sephora elsewhere  on any day we are ready to shop.  Furthermore, most department stores have followed the Sephora model and remodeled their departments to be more browsing and testing friendly, so when I'm browsing I find myself walking through Neiman's, Macy's and Nordstrom's cosmetic departments now more frequently than I go into Sephora for that purpose.

Beauty Insiders of all levels enoy your April visit to Sephora. Woman Happy  

Respected Contributor

I was a VIB for many years but since I retired I'm now just a BI. Since retiring, I buy very, very little makeup as I have enough to last me for the rest of my life.

Pardon me, Sephora, if I don't jump up and down for a meager 10% off. I despise the fact that I'm 'awarded' a discount based on how much I've spent. Smiley Mad

Many other sites - Beauty.com, Skinstore, Ulta, Bobbi Brown, Laura Geller etc. routinely offer 20% off throughout the year and they don't care how much I have or haven't spent with them!!
Honored Contributor

We don't have a local Sephora so when I buy I have to order online. I stopped ordering very much from Sephora when they quit letting all of us have their Friends & Family discount. There are so many other places that offer incentives so I will shop there. I will still pick up deals on Black Friday while I shop online.

Honored Contributor

@lmt wrote:

I was a VIB for many years but since I retired I'm now just a BI. Since retiring, I buy very, very little makeup as I have enough to last me for the rest of my life.

Pardon me, Sephora, if I don't jump up and down for a meager 10% off. I despise the fact that I'm 'awarded' a discount based on how much I've spent. Smiley Mad

Many other sites - Beauty.com, Skinstore, Ulta, Bobbi Brown, Laura Geller etc. routinely offer 20% off throughout the year and they don't care how much I have or haven't spent with them!!

Agreed and great points. Shoot Laura Geller these days has 40% and 50% sales quite often now! Now THAT is a sale!

Respected Contributor

@lmt wrote:

I agree. I used to LOVE Sephora. But now, although I tend to purchase more items in general (than when I was a poor student back in those days!), I am really frugal and always wait for deals, friends &family sales, or coupon codes. I'm Rouge at Sephora this year, but only because of some larger gifts I purchased and buying items for my mom. There's no way I will be next year. I've gotten to where I only buy items at Sephora that are difficult to find somewhere else, or bc I can use their coupon code on "luxury" brands (Burberry, Armani, Givenchy, etc), that never go on sale elsewhere. (Or if they do, I don't know about it!) Sephora does have some nice kits at great values here and there, but overall, their "deals" are wimpy compared to LOTS of other places. Regarding Ulta, the one near me is so bad (SO bad), but they do have awesome deals - especially during their 21 days, etc. My biggest complaint, however, is that I NEVER seem to get the 20% off coupon that includes prestige brands. I haven't in well over a year. No idea why. I shop there! Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

Sephora has a caste system and don't care for it. Also ordered a lot more from them before they began only allowing certain members participate in sales. Nordstroms matches all Sephora sales, including f & f and they don't discriminate who can purchase during their sale. Usually shop at Nordies during Sephora sales because its better service for the same product.