Respected Contributor

Sensitive Eye Area Treatment

[ Edited ]

For those of us who are sensitive, most facial moisturizers are too rich to be applied to the eye area. Use an eye cream instead. Apply the eye cream first using the dot, dot, dot, pat, pat, pat technique. Never rub the eye area. Think raccoon. Once the eye area is treated use facial moisturizer on the remainder of the face.

If you have have had swollen or puffy eyes from skin products, it is possible they were applied too close to the eye area. If eye cream causes this, it is too strong and you need a different product for sensitive skin. I am concerned about some product demonstrations I have seen lately where the same product is being applied to the eye and the face. Those who are not sensitive can possibly do this, but those of us who are sensitive need to avoid the practice.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sensitive Eye Area Treatment

Interesting observation, @On It .  I guess everyone must do what works for them.  I have always used my creams and oils around my eyes without an issue.  It is when I use an actual eye cream that I end up with puffy eyes.  It is as if it hold fluid around them.  I usually steer clear of eye creams for this reason.  

It will interesting to hear what others have experienced.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

Interesting observation, @On It .  I guess everyone must do what works for them.  I have always used my creams and oils around my eyes without an issue.  It is when I use an actual eye cream that I end up with puffy eyes.  It is as if it hold fluid around them.  I usually steer clear of eye creams for this reason.  

It will interesting to hear what others have experienced.

That is interesting. Was it a sensitive eye cream? Many eye creams can be too rich for sensitive skin or the eye area will react to them as yours obviously did. Finding the one that works for each individual is somewhat of a task, but when you find it, it makes all the difference. Being sensitive to products is a royal pain in the ****.

Trusted Contributor

Same thing here- I've also had puffy eyes and also burning eyes from eye creams.  Don't ask me which, it's been a while since I used them.

Everything I've read says special eye creams, also neck creams aren't necessary.  Nice you want to use them and if you think they work for you, but not necessary. 

Respected Contributor

Cera Ve eye cream made my eyes very sensitive and teary. It went in the trash. Moisturizers can also do this if I put it to close as well. I use Josie Maran products now and none of them affect my eyes now.

Trusted Contributor

@KBEANS wrote:

Cera Ve eye cream made my eyes very sensitive and teary. It went in the trash. Moisturizers can also do this if I put it to close as well. I use Josie Maran products now and none of them affect my eyes now.

@KBEANS  I have sensitive eyes and was going to try this, someone on another thread just highly recommended it.  Now I won't, thank you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@decaf wrote:

@KBEANS wrote:

@KBEANS  I have sensitive eyes and was going to try this, someone on another thread just highly recommended it.  Now I won't, thank you.

Wow, @KBEANS , that's surprising.  I recently started using it and am really impressed by it.  It has a great ingredient deck and zero irritation for me. I don't rub, just tap, and I'm careful not to get it too close to the corners of my eyes.  A year or two ago, I tried an Isomers product in that area and it turned out to be a big disappointment.  

Respected Contributor

This post was addressed to those of us who are sensitive as a cautionary tale. If you are having no issues with products, keep on doing what you are doing. Just treat the eye area with respect for the delicate skin it is. Don't excessively pull, or tug the skin in that area. Some demonstrations I have seen would result in significant damage to the skin around the eye if used over time.

Respected Contributor

@KBEANS wrote:

I am glad you found something that worked for you. Sensitive skin reacts to a product for a host of reasons. Once you find a product that works, it is such a relief!

Respected Contributor

@decaf  @JeanLouiseFinch  I like other Cera Ve products like their washes and use without any problems.  I was very surprised myself. I am not in anyway telling anyone not to use it or give it a try. It was just extremely irritating to my eyes.  What works for some doesn't always work for others.