Honored Contributor

Re: Self-tanners and what to wear....

The only one I ever used that does not come off on clothing is Tan Towel and that is what I mostly use.  If I use any other kind I shower and put it on at night then shower in the am to wash the color guard away.  I never had any luck with lotions without a color guide as they always end up looking spotty and streaky.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@ECBG. This is what I use in Fair to Medium....just on legs and arms, but mix it in my hand w/ a pump of reg. lotion to combat the odor & also tone the color...just want a hint to blend in veins, bruises, etc. I only reapply twice a week after my shower and stand in the bathroom naked about 10 minutes & it's dry enough to sit & do makeup.

It does not come off on most clothes, but have noticed a little on white bra straps or sleeves of white tees on sweaty days...comes off in the wash.

@ShanusI only do this at night then I shower off the color indicator.  I've only had my sleep shirts pick up a little color.

Contributor

Try Tan Towels.  The item is available on HSN.  It is a towelette that you rub on, dries in a minute and looks great.  Abasolutely no smell. can get dressed immediately and does not rsub off on clothing.  I have been using it for about 2 years.  Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

@lainey1 wrote:

I agree, most of some sort of odor.  i can't remember which I one I used years ago, and when I started to sweat, the smell from the self tanner was awful.  I was making myself sickSmiley Happy

YES!  If your body heats up at all, that smell really intensifies. 

Honored Contributor

@shaina wrote:

Try Tan Towels.  The item is available on HSN.  It is a towelette that you rub on, dries in a minute and looks great.  Abasolutely no smell. can get dressed immediately and does not rsub off on clothing.  I have been using it for about 2 years.  Hope this helps.

I think whether something has a smell or not is going to be subjective.  I have tried Tan Towels and they were the absolute worst tanning product I had ever used and had the absolute worst odor.

I also didn't have good luck with the Jergens. That was another product that had a horrendous smell to me.  The Target dupe of it was much, much better IMO.          

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2. Sorry to disappoint...I have a small tv on my vanity in bathroom so I watch something (not QVC) while waiting to "dry". No yoga or Pilates....at least not in the nude. 

Respected Contributor

I haven't found a tanning product that doesn't highlight imperfections.  Does this happen with a professional spray tan?  I've never done that before but I'd like to try it if it's different.

Valued Contributor

I have had good luck with BareMinerals faux tan; I apply at night after bathing and generally right before going to bed. My pajamas show a little bit of the self-tanner has rubbed off, but I have never noticed anything coming off on the sheets. To me, it has a mild smell but I wouldn't call it unpleasant. Any smell is definitely gone by morning. I think self-tanner has come a long way in the past several years. 

My most recent purchase was Tan Luxe -the Body (HSN). Drops of the product are added to my own lotion. I'm not happy with the recommended 24-hr-in-advance prep, so I don't follow the rules. It's alright, but I won't purchase it again.

Respected Contributor

Paula's Choice self tanner is great and has little smell, to me anyway. Most others are full of perfumes.
Respected Contributor

I stand in front of a fan to speed up the drying. I now use Paula's Choice, but have used Tarte and all the ones at the drug store. I'm super fair, so I do it before vacation so I don't burn as easily. I have done a spray tan, but that is mostly alcohol based, though you can call aorund for one that is mostly aloe based, which is what I did. I had to have it done twice in one week before a wedding I was in. I have eczema, so it didn't like it. It showed by breakouts bad. What alcohol was in it didn't do them any good.