Super Contributor

Re: Self-tanners and what to wear....

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

...while it develops.  I recently re-started using my Tarte and it takes 15 minutes to develop. I use it primarily on my legs to diminish the appearance of what looks like a map of rivers and creeks on my ankles!

Once a self-tanner is applied to skin and following directions, what is the chance of it coming off on clothes or furniture-and I realize products vary.

Thanks,

Poodlepet2

Tan Towels are the best! No smell and doesn't stain clothes or furniture. Before Tan Towels I had the hardest time finding an effective and odorless self tanner.

Honored Contributor

I self-tan at night and just throw on an old shirt and some shorts I don't care about. An hour later I go to bed, so if it does smell, I don't notice it - I'm asleep.

I know they say you can, but I would never self-tan, get dressed, and go anywhere. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Yeah, I found a happy medium for self tanners...to make the self-tanner apply more evenly I mix a self-tanner like Banana Boat brand self-tanner with the Jergen's Glow+Protect moisturizer and the combo of the two made the product odor less and the application easier, drying time was the same.  You might want to try this.

Valued Contributor

I first dabbled into self tanning with the Bare Minerals tanner, and it did not last nor did I like the actual product.  I had tried St. Tropez for years, the original, the dark and the supposed quicker drying/appearing version released a couple of years back.  Every single time they ran, if you sweat which I do especially in the summer, or transferred to clothing, sheets and furniture.  I would end up putting on old mesh shorts and a loose tank to kick around the house and sit on a towel, but there was no way I would put on "regular clothes".  My favorite product in the last two years is now James Read (A278278).  I put it on at night, no transfer at all to pj's or sheets.  I find I need to apply for a couple of nights in a row to get the color I prefer, but there is a light base the very first morning after application.  It does not even stain your mitt, if you rinse it out once in a while.  There is no heavy scent and it does not drip, it is a clear gel.  I do have to be careful to apply very well at the shin bones, probably because the bone is so close to the skin. On occasion I use Tan Towel wipes for a quick touch up and dries quickly.

Respected Contributor

My favorite is Josie Maran self tanning oil...I also use St Tropez..

I have JM oil in vanilla/apricot so that is all I smell..I never have had it rub off, but it isn't avaliable all year, and since I live in warmer area I use something all the time.

I try and stock up or switch to St Tropez, (the original shade, not dark.Smiley Happy