Respected Contributor

Self-tanners and what to wear....

...while it develops.  I recently re-started using my Tarte and it takes 15 minutes to develop. I use it primarily on my legs to diminish the appearance of what looks like a map of rivers and creeks on my ankles!

Once a self-tanner is applied to skin and following directions, what is the chance of it coming off on clothes or furniture-and I realize products vary.

Thanks,

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Re: Self-tanners and what to wear....

They say they dry in minutes but even if it does, I still think it comes off on clothing.  I tend to let mine dry for a good 30 minutes before getting dressed; however, I still have seen it rub off on my clothing.  After all, it is basically a dye on your skin and not acutally your skin changing it's own color.

Contributor

Is there a self tanner out there that doesn't smell??

Respected Contributor

@lainey1, I have no idea.... I think that is going to be incredibly difficult to find.

Did you scout the Big A or purveyors of cosmetics. In my forays of sunscreens and tanners, most of them have a tropical scent.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I only apply self-tanner before I go to bed.  They all smell while they are developing.  I also only use them on my legs because my legs are so much whiter than my arms and chest.

I always use a spray-on tanning product so I spray my legs, throw on a walking short/pedal pusher and give the product quite awhile to dry.  I have never found them to dry enough in 15 minutes so that I could hop into bed or put clothes on without the product rubbing off.

I generally spray my legs in the early evening and go to bed at least 2 hours later. 

Contributor

I agree, most of some sort of odor.  i can't remember which I one I used years ago, and when I started to sweat, the smell from the self tanner was awful.  I was making myself sickSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

There is one that I found on google several years ago that had less odor.  I'm sure there are more now. 

Jergen's Glow isn't bad.

Image result for Glow lotion self tanner

Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2 I am very sensitive to smells.  I found St. Tropez foam and Vita Liberata to be the best.  I am very pale and have older skin and usually always turned orange.  These two have more of a bronze look on me. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG. This is what I use in Fair to Medium....just on legs and arms, but mix it in my hand w/ a pump of reg. lotion to combat the odor & also tone the color...just want a hint to blend in veins, bruises, etc. I only reapply twice a week after my shower and stand in the bathroom naked about 10 minutes & it's dry enough to sit & do makeup.

It does not come off on most clothes, but have noticed a little on white bra straps or sleeves of white tees on sweaty days...comes off in the wash.

Respected Contributor

Shanus, I could only ask you, but since you are in a hot steamy room wearing the "Nude Collection by Shanus"...do you do Pilates or yoga standing poses????

...inquiring minds wanna know!

Poodlepet2