Honored Contributor

Re: Self tanner for face

[ Edited ]

Everytime Jergens is mentioned as a self tanner, I have to cringe. The ingredients are the worst possible, mineral oil, petroleum, DMDM Hydantoin and parabens, it cant get much worse than this. 

Honored Contributor

DD self tans, but says not to go so much darker than your skin tone that you can't use a powder bronzer on your face. That's what she does. Her cleansers remove the face tanners much faster than what shower gels she washes with and she could never keep face and body closely matched to look natural. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Self tanner for face

[ Edited ]

@Katilein  Take a look at Clarins.  When I worked part time at Marshall Fields (now Macys) Clarins was very popular with the lady shoppers.  Also, take a look at Josie Maran's self tanner.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Everytime Jergens is mentioned as a self tanner, I have to cringe. The ingredients are the worst possible, mineral oil, petroleum, DMDM Hydantoin and parabens, it cant get much worse than this. 

@Shelbelle   IMHO, if you're getting regular mani/pedis, especially gels, the ingredients when reading the research, that enters your body is far worse than those in a self-tanner. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle   IMHO, if you're getting regular mani/pedis, especially gels, the ingredients when reading the research, that enters your body is far worse than those in a self-tanner. 

i only use regular nail polish, I bring my own products to the salon, and they are at least 5 Free. Certainly, no formaldehyde, which is in the Jergens tanner.  The Jergens ingredients are the worst I have seen in any self tanners. 

Honored Contributor

@Katilein wrote:

Hi, can anyone recommend a good self tanner for the face? I just bought Clinique, but oh my, it smells so bad like metal, I cannot use it. Just need something to give me a little subtle tan. Thanks

@Katilein I use a bronzing powder since self tanners wear off in spots on the face.

I think mine is Laura Geller.  Bobbi Brown has a good one.

New Contributor

Recently tried the Mine self tanner...very little to no odor at all.  I only noticed a slight smell after several hours, but I actually had to put my wrist up to my nose to detect, and it was minimal.

As for the brown spots, I have had the same problem where all self tanners made brown spots look much worse.

Here is what I do and it has really helped.  After applying self tanner to my face I have at the ready a Q tip.  I wet it and usually put a little soap and just remove self tanner from the spots.  You do it immediately after applying.  Works well.

Haven't worn face makeup since wearing mask...so I am using a lot of self tanner and this really works for me.

Respected Contributor

I have some uneven skin on my face from my tanning days, if I use self tanner on my face all those marks come out and look awful. I prefer to use either a darker foundation or a bronzer. I use and love Laura Geller bronzer (not the body one, the one for face w/out the shimmer in it)

I also like to swip my hand across the top of the bronzing powder and mix it with my moisturizer

Honored Contributor

I agree with those who recommend bronzer. It looks much more natural on the face. I've never had self tanner look quite right on my face. Hourglass powder bronzer does the trick for me.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I am not a huge self tanner fan.  I am Italian so I have an olive complesion to start.  I have bought many self tanners fron low to very high end.  Gave the TSV a try a few days ago from Isle of Paradise and it totally instantly absorbed into the skin and the smell was awesome.  Granted I only just got it, and used it once on my face and neck, but I can tell I will love it. So happy I am on AD!