I haven't been on here forever.  Had to get new name! 

Someone else has to have a problem with spots that don't go away?  I have used St Tropez, Bare Minierals product, Vita Liberata, Tarte, etc.  I still have age spots & liver spots from Winter!!!  The self tanner highlights the spots forever it seems.  I have even tried putting on lotion first, which negates then the full performance of the tanner.

Maybe I should try drugstore products?  I don't ever hear anyone speak of this issue.

Thank you in advance.

I am 63 and PALE with skin I exposed to the sun as a younger person Smiley Sad  

Honored Contributor

Self tanners are not recommended for skin with age spots. You just have to go without them. Bronzers may help you in this case and glycolic acid treatments might lighten the spots you have but depending on how dark they are, some may just fade and not go away completely. If your spots are seriously bothering you then I would talk with a dermatologist.Woman Happy

Super Contributor

Same problem here. I am super pale  and have tried them all too. Just don't like looking so pale all summer. I am going to try drug store brands because I am tired of throwing money away. 

Trusted Contributor

@nurse926 wrote:

I haven't been on here forever.  Had to get new name! 

Someone else has to have a problem with spots that don't go away?  I have used St Tropez, Bare Minierals product, Vita Liberata, Tarte, etc.  I still have age spots & liver spots from Winter!!!  The self tanner highlights the spots forever it seems.  I have even tried putting on lotion first, which negates then the full performance of the tanner.

Maybe I should try drugstore products?  I don't ever hear anyone speak of this issue.

Thank you in advance.

I am 63 and PALE with skin I exposed to the sun as a younger person Smiley Sad  

i have a lot of sun damage from suntanning in my younger years. For this reason i can't self tan. It only exaggerates the appearance of the spots. What i do use on my arms and legs is a bronzing cream or gel that washes off. Make sure you use one that doesn't transfer to your clothes if you let it dry before you get dressed. i have just given up on the tan look anymore. 

Respected Contributor

I don't think there is an tan product that will work for you or really anyone. They all look orange. A perfect example is one of the show hosts that uses self tanning, it is so fake looking.

If you really want to try a self tanner try exfoliating first and just use a light application.Woman HappyHeart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Respected Contributor

I am also very fair, and just have a few spots and have found that Jergens self tanning lotion is the best one that is very gradual. If I remember there is a light version and a darker version and I get the lightest one.

It is a lotion that you use every day just like you would a moisturizer and it takes two or three days for tan to show up so this gives you some control over how deep a tan you want. It's also fairly inexpensive and Walmart has a generic version.

so yes it darkens those spots a little but not nearly so much as those darker tan's and I can control how dark I want it.

Respected Contributor

Those of us growing up in the 50's and 60's are now paying the price for our sun worshipping which was hailed as being healthy in those days. There really isn't a way to cover them up. Vita Liberata is the only self tanner that I have found that doesn't accentuate my dark spots. I just purchased Josie's TSV and haven't tried it yet. Hoping that this will work for me. I no longer want to be dark. I just want to be a step up from my pale skin. One of the worst tanners for amplifying dark spots is Tan Towels plus they dried out my skin horribly. Some people just love Tan Towels. so to each his own I guess. I can't say that my spots are fading much but I think with regular of sunscreen they seem to be a little less noticeable. 

Honored Contributor

I don't have age spots, but I am very pale. I gave up self tanners because I never could get them to look realistic. Have you tried Sally Hansen leg makeup? I use a bit of this mixed with body lotion to tone down my white legs in the summer. It comes in 2 shades. Maybe it would help cover the spots some? 

Honored Contributor

Jergens Glow will just give you that little difference.  It's also buildable.   Comes in light-dark.

When I taught, my students were amazed because I had asked them to quit using tanning beds and they thought I had!!!

Image result for jergens glow lotion