Honored Contributor

Re: Self Tanner ~ why do I do this to myself every year??

I exfoliate with pumice powder which I add to my shower gel on a wash cloth. The pumice powder comes in a bag. You can find it on amazon.  Works like nothing else. 

I always apply my tanner with a mitt. I think that helps spread it evenly so there's no streaking.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I exfoliate with pumice powder which I add to my shower gel on a wash cloth. The pumice powder comes in a bag. You can find it on amazon.  Works like nothing else. 

I always apply my tanner with a mitt. I think that helps spread it evenly so there's no streaking.

@SilleeMee :   I have learned something else from you, pumice powder which I have never heard of.  Do you use it like an exfoliant?  Going to Amazon to look.  Any guidance will be appreciated.  Thanks

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Knit-Chick 

Just a suggestion for many years I've been using Tan Towels from HSN.  They are also available at Kohl's and I had seen them at Ulta, although HSN has best package price.

I am "naturally" tan mostly year round as I swim everyday.  There are a few months although the pool is heated I do not.  

During these times I use Tan Towels as I like to freshen up my natural tan.  I am italian decent and have olive skin, therefore, I get  nice even tan.  The tan towels are the best product I've found for a "natural" glowing tan (or should I say give you nice color).

I see some hosts who are orange why they don't remember to wash their hands after application is beyond me.  No matter what self tanner used palms of hands are never tan naturally.

Anyway, TT are easy to use.  They do not "smear or give lines" it seems the formulation works with the enzyme of your skin.  Nor do you need gloves or messy creams.  You just wipe over your body.

I've never had streaks, etc.  I also use on my face.  And always wash the palms of my hands & never have stain on my clothing.

The only thing I don't care for is the smell although I noticed my newest package doesn't have a smell.

I apply about a hour before bed and next morning I have nice glow.  The tan lasts but I do it every other day for deeper color.

They are IMO the best self tanner on the market.  JMO.

I'd try them🙂

Honored Contributor

I use the WEN tanning oil & add a few drops to my moisturizer. I really only need it on my pasty white legs so they are more even with the rest of me.  It goes on even and looks natural.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Knit-Chick    You know what may really work for you is Josie Maran's tanning product because it is more natural.

kindness is strength
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I did this for years!  I was always envious of people who had nice color to their skin in the warm winter months.  I spent a lot of time and money on different products and even went to get spray tans.  It just got to be such a hassle and mostly did not turn out to look very nice.  When I was younger, some people were very nasty with their comments --- Here comes Casper the ghost -- and other mean things.  It made me very self-conscious.  I had to learn to embrace my fair skin and not let what others said hurt my feelings.  Would I like to be able to tan naturally? Sure!  But it just is not in the cards for me. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used an artificial self-tanner once when I was a teenager in the 60's.   Never again! 

I've also "embraced the pale."   If other people don't like my un-tanned legs, that's their problem.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I did this for years!  I was always envious of people who had nice color to their skin in the warm winter months.  I spent a lot of time and money on different products and even went to get spray tans.  It just got to be such a hassle and mostly did not turn out to look very nice.  When I was younger, some people were very nasty with their comments --- Here comes Casper the ghost -- and other mean things.  It made me very self-conscious.  I had to learn to embrace my fair skin and not let what others said hurt my feelings.  Would I like to be able to tan naturally? Sure!  But it just is not in the cards for me. 

@AngelPuppy1   Decades ago, pale skin was a virtue and looked upon those as people who were weathy. Tans were looked on as those who needed to work outside. 

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee :   I have learned something else from you, pumice powder which I have never heard of.  Do you use it like an exfoliant?  Going to Amazon to look.  Any guidance will be appreciated.  Thanks

@Hoovermom 

Yes, I use it to exfoliate my body not my face. Pumice is used in some cleansers for body and sometimes in facial cleansers, too. It's what makes Lava hand soap do it's job. Pumice is a volcanic rock and it is crushed into a fine powder to use cosmetically as well as for dental polishing. It comes in different coarseness (grit). I use the medium grit for my body. The coarse grit would be good for your feet. I put a little in a plastic spice jar (with a shaker lid) and leave that in my shower and sprinkle that on my shower gel. The amount is up to you...use more or less depending on how much exfoliating you need. Just experiment with the amount.  I buy this one from Amazon. Item number is  B01C7XIU18  .

Dharma Pumice Medium Grit 1 lb - $17 

Dharma Pumice Medium Grit 1 lb

Esteemed Contributor

I don't do this anymore. But on those [very few] special occasions when a little color looks better, I use IT bronzer that works nicely.