Trusted Contributor

Self Tanner ~ why do I do this to myself every year??

I'm just shaking my head at myself - LOL  

Every year I try self tanner on my pale skin.  And every year I get blotchy spots and say 'never again'.  So as I look down at the streaks on my legs, I just have to laugh at myself. This time I tried Jergens Wet Skin Tanning Lotion.  I really just wanted to even out my arms to get rid of my farmer's tan..... 1st application was ok, but hardly any color.  I applied it again this morning and now have streaks on my legs.  My arms are ok as of now.

Never again... ha ha

Trusted Contributor

Re: Self Tanner ~ why do I do this to myself every year??

Do you exfoliate and moisturize before you apply?  That's key.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

Why would anyone want to tan?

Trusted Contributor

@Deree wrote:

Do you exfoliate and moisturize before you apply?  That's key.

I do beforehand!  Maybe I just didn't do enough.

Trusted Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Why would anyone want to tan?

Because I like the look of a little color and was also trying to even out my arms.... ok?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Knit-Chick wrote:

I'm just shaking my head at myself - LOL  

Every year I try self tanner on my pale skin.  And every year I get blotchy spots and say 'never again'.  So as I look down at the streaks on my legs, I just have to laugh at myself. This time I tried Jergens Wet Skin Tanning Lotion.  I really just wanted to even out my arms to get rid of my farmer's tan..... 1st application was ok, but hardly any color.  I applied it again this morning and now have streaks on my legs.  My arms are ok as of now.

Never again... ha ha

@Knit-Chick  I've used the Jergen's Natural Glow Lotion before and had poor results. I'm sure it was somewhat my fault for trying to hurry the process.  I've also tried one of the foams and didn't like that either. I like tanning drops better.  The only thing about using self tanners is that it doesn't last real long and you have to keep doing it to maintain the tan. 

Honored Contributor

@Knit-Chick 

I'm basically allergic to the sun (that's how much I hate it) so I don't even pretend to try to tan with anything.  I've learned to embrace my soft milky white skin Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

@Knit-Chick I agree. I am very pale and I use self tanner to just make my legs look better. I have uneven skin and starting to get nasty veins on the backs of my legs. The tanner doesn't completely cover them, but gives me a little glow and color. PS: I have dark auburn hair, blue eyes. I don't naturally tan, I burn and look like a lobster. 

I have tried many and the best one I found is at Ulta called Fake Bake. I apply with a tanning mitt- very lightly, so it naturally gets darker each day. I don't want a super dark tan, as I would look goofy. Once I reach my desired shade. I back off for a few days.

Take a nice warm shower, exfoliate and shave (legs). Make sure you are well moisturized, as well. Dry flaky skin doesn't 'tan' well.

Honored Contributor

I'm very fair and gave up on tanner about the mid 1990s.  

I like looking this way ..... I've "embraced the pale."  

Trusted Contributor

I am proud of my "white as a ghost" skin and never use self tanner nor do I stay out in the sun. But to each their own.