Respected Contributor

Self Tanner that doesn't wear off blotchy?

I am NOT a self tanner person at all however, we have a trip coming up in a few months and I like to do a little self tanner on my legs so I feel a little better in shorts.

Last year I used a self tanner (I tried 3) and when they were wearing off it was super blotchy and I had to scrub so hard to get it all off so I didn't look so funny.

Is there such thing as one that just fades away or am I dreaming? LOL  

Honored Contributor

Re: Self Tanner that doesn't wear off blotchy?

I have found that they ALL stain my "freckles" (age spots or whatever you want to call them)....much DARKER than the rest of my skin....and it doesn't come off.    No, I can't "go around them", either......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

For a special trip, I might get a professional spray tan and skip all the trial and error with self tanners. They are such a pain!

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

For a special trip, I might get a professional spray tan and skip all the trial and error with self tanners. They are such a pain!

@GenXmuse 

I'm thinking about trying that this year.  I wear a lot of maxis and never get any color on my white pasty legs!

I use self tanner on my face (then SPF 50 IT CC Cream) but don't like the time and effort it takes on my legs (they are kinda long)  Gotta wait for it to dry, don't wanna stain the sheets, furniture etc.

Self tanner works great on face and neck but I'm too lazy to do it on my legs.

My salon does spray and I was surprised it wasn't outrageously priced.  They said wear older clothes, but they do something to dry it and by time you get home, you are good to go.

Have you done it?

Valued Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

I am NOT a self tanner person at all however, we have a trip coming up in a few months and I like to do a little self tanner on my legs so I feel a little better in shorts.

Last year I used a self tanner (I tried 3) and when they were wearing off it was super blotchy and I had to scrub so hard to get it all off so I didn't look so funny.

Is there such thing as one that just fades away or am I dreaming? LOL  

~~~~~~

@SandGirl   Ive found the best, consistent, long lasting results are .. to make sure all skin is evenly lotioned before application (not lotion just the dry spots).  And keep skin moistioned for even fading, ....  (altho personally, I continue to lotion, then apply self-tanner, all along, so that it doesnt fade.

Good luck! .... and   HAVE A BLAST ON YR TRIP!!

Feelings are simply human
How we deal with, ..or express those feelings .. is our choice
. ~ . Please be kind . ~ .

Honored Contributor

I'm still experimenting and learning with self tanner. One thing I've learned is to NOT over apply or to get too aggressive with reapplication.  Also, don't skip the exfoliation step prior to application.  It will be more even, look more natural, and fade more evenly.  Keep your skin moisturized too.  

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

@GenXmuse  I have never done this before, do they wear off different than "home" self tanners?

Respected Contributor

@SandGirl  I don't self tan a lot,  so I'm certainly NOT an expert.  I've found that almost every one that I've tried has that funky scent, even when claiming not to.

The best one I've tried is the MINE TAN.  QVC used to sell it.  They have a gradual tan foam and an Express 1 hour deeper tan.  I much prefer the gradual one, and use it mostly on my face.  If I use the 1 hour mousse,  I normally mix it with a body butter or lotion,  which helps to apply it more evenly.    

They both have no scent at all and nice natural color.  Again,  I'm not an expert on reapplying, etc  but the few times I have,  it wore pretty evenly.

GOOD LUCK!

Have a fabulous safe trip.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

Spray tans seem to work longer on me and they can customize it for you. The biggest difference for me is that it is evenly applied which has always been difficult for me to do. There's nothing worse than going to the beach and it's so obviously spray tanner because of the of blotchy areas. 
You can get their tanner lotion which is supposed to help prolong your tan too. I'd recommend it and it's cheaper than trying out a lot of different tanners and being unhappy with results.

If you have time, you can always try it out before you take a trip for a test run.

I don't go regularly as I don't care about being tanned throughout the summer but it's nice for trips and special occasions.