Super Contributor
Hi, I had 4 surgeries on my calf and ankle last year. I have quite a bit of scarring including some pretty big ones. Any advice using self tanner with scarring? Any brands better than others? Thanks!!
Honored Contributor

Because that area is darker, tanner will make it appear darker.

I'm sure what you have is more agressive than the line I burned across my arm getting a cake out of the oven.  If I pushed my sleeves up at all it was noticable.

It took two tubes of Mederma but it's no longer noticable.

Also, there is the makeup people with port wine stains on their face use.  I'd look into that.

Respected Contributor

Re: Self Tanner and Scars

[ Edited ]

Covering Scars with Self-Tanner

Scar tissue is different from normal skin tissue and can react very unpredictably to self-tanners. Some people may notice that the tan darkens scar tissue and helps it blend into the surrounding skin.

Others notice no difference. Some users claim the tan actually accentuates the scar tissue, as the surrounding skin darkens whilst the scar tissue doesn't.

Typically, small, superficial scars will darken along with your skin, whereas larger and deeper scars won't react as well. However, this is only a general rule, and everyone's scars are different.

The best way to see if your self-tanner is going to positively or negative affect your scarring is to do a small patch test on the area. 

Exfoliate the area prior to performing your self-tan patch test to ensure a smooth surface. After a full 8 to 10 hours, assess how the scar tissue and surrounding skin looks in order to see if the self-tanner has helped and didnt make scar stand out.

Respected Contributor

@3blackdogs  I would also look into body makeup type products..

Dermablend has a nice one..I self tan alot & I think the self tanners might

just make the scarring stand out more...(but the patch test is another idea if 

you want to try them)

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@3blackdogs wrote:
Hi, I had 4 surgeries on my calf and ankle last year. I have quite a bit of scarring including some pretty big ones. Any advice using self tanner with scarring? Any brands better than others? Thanks!!

@3blackdogs   Hi. Sorry you went through all that. You may want to look into that Westmore Body Makeup in a tube (on QVC). Sally Hansen also has a similar product that covers scars, freckling, etc. in a spray form.