Trusted Contributor

Turtle52, can you say it one more time? I think I'm like the OP and some others on this thread. My problem isn't the product's scent when it goes on. The problem is later, even days later and after several showers. The "corn chip" or "stinky feet" smell persists. I've read it is due to some of us actually putting off a smell when our skin reacts with the DHA (DiHydroxyAcetone) that is in all sunless tanners. The smell is especially noticeable if you start to sweat. It's really gross! It lasts several days for me and so far I haven't tried one that doesn't cause the smell.

If you have had that odor with other tanning products but not with Vita Liberata I want to try it.

{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

KJPA
Honored Contributor
On 6/12/2014 KJPA said:

Turtle52, can you say it one more time? I think I'm like the OP and some others on this thread. My problem isn't the product's scent when it goes on. The problem is later, even days later and after several showers. The "corn chip" or "stinky feet" smell persists. I've read it is due to some of us actually putting off a smell when our skin reacts with the DHA (DiHydroxyAcetone) that is in all sunless tanners. The smell is especially noticeable if you start to sweat. It's really gross! It lasts several days for me and so far I haven't tried one that doesn't cause the smell.

If you have had that odor with other tanning products but not with Vita Liberata I want to try it.

{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

perhaps they add an ingredient to counteract it?
Super Contributor

My sympathies because same thing happens to me. They all smell fine when they go on and after a few hours EWWW..like rotten chicken soup. I hate it. And it will last sometimes through 2 showers. I haven't found one that doesn't smell on me.

I started using colored powders and sprays because they don't have the scent. Trouble is they don't last but a day or two and are much more expensive. I just can't handle the odor.

Valued Contributor

I use Tan Towels and don't notice any odor however, I had my husband apply it to my back last night and he said that it really stinks??? So I guess it is different for every individual. I guess there is a price for all beauty products. I used them the last two nights and I am nice and tan all over, love them.

Regular Contributor
On 6/12/2014 turtle52 said:

The ONLY one with NO odor is Vita Liberata. I am VERY sensitive to smells and I found that Tarte and St. Tropez both have the dreaded self-tanner smell. Vita Liberata is expensive but to me it is worth every penny since I have never been able to use self tanner before.

She's right. I've tried everything. Vita Liberata is the beginning and end all of self tanners. THE BEST EVER. It's expensive but I am very fair and freckled and I use the DARK version and I look like I've been tanning for weeks............and it lasts a good long time too!!!!

Respected Contributor

That's why I quit using self tanners. I can't stand the smell. After awhile my nose gets used to it and I don't smell it anymore. I know better, because my DH says he can still smell it.

I've tossed all of it in the trash and am enjoying my lily white skin.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I think the intensity of the self tanner smell is based on body chemistry. Tan Towels, BE and St Tropez all develop that smell after about 8hrs on me and do so from Tan T being the worst to St Tropez being the least smelly- so I usually do it at night and then wash off- Tan T sometimes I could smell it after a shower by sniffing my skin and it turned me more yellow so that one I never use anymore altho some swear by that one . BE sometimes wakes me up because of the smell not at first it smells like almonds but 6-8 hours in it stinks. St Tropez I can deal with and now with the dark formula it lasts on me for 5 days but I think I need to try Vita Liberata!

Contributor

Vita has no self tanner smell at all on me. I just recently purchased isomer's Golden Goddess self tanner. It also does not smell when I use it, and it is with out a doubt, the most moisturizing self tanner I have ever used! Haven't used it long enough to determine how it fades yet, but so far, I rate it above even Vita.

Honored Contributor

Are you guys saying that Vita Libertata has no baking bread smell while developing? Hours after applying when the tan gradually shows?

If Libertata does not do this, it must have a completely novel formulation. I'd like to know what it is. I watched a presentation of the product and was under the impression it contains the same old DH tanner as the rest. What's different about it to avoid that step? Super fast development?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

""ALL"" self tanners have that odor except for Vita! St Tropez is heavily fragranced and I mean ""heavy"" . Faux Tan smells like almond a couple examples. No matter what they do to try to cover that awful smell of self tanners they all end up smelling except for Vita.

No thought is worth thinking.....