Honored Contributor

Seems I Can't Use the Sephora GC I Got For Christmas

It can't be used on-line. It can't be used at a free standing Sephora store.  It can only be used at Sephora inside JCPennys.  I have checked for availability for a minimum of 25 products at the closest Sephora inside JCP.  They had exactly ZERO of every product I checked.  Out of stock on everything. This is the only store within 100 miles.  I'm going to call tomorrow, explain the situation and see if my daughter can return the gc and repurchase one that can be used online.  I've never heard of such a thing.

Honored Contributor

Re: Seems I Can't Use the Sephora GC I Got For Christmas

@monicakm That's so bogus.

Respected Contributor

The only Sephora close to me is in a Kohl's.  They do not take Sephora gift cards either.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

My daughters best friend that I buy a christmas gift for every year asked for a Sephora or an Ulta gift card for christmas.  I went into the Sephora inside penneys put the cashier warned me that it could only be redeemed at Sephora inside jc penneys.  I ended up buying an ulta gift card at a walgreens or cvs instead.  Glad she warned me!

Esteemed Contributor

Yeah, very frustrating but has always been the case.  I forget now what it was that I went to use in a Sephora in JC Penny's and they told me it wouldn't work there, only in an actual Sephora.

Respected Contributor

Maybe it can be used online at jcp.com for sephora merchandise?

Honored Contributor

@spumoni99 

I'll look into that, thanks.  I still can't believe the Sephora (in JCP) near me has NOTHING I checked for.  I just finally started clicking on random items that I didn't want but nothing was in stock.  I started this last night.  Guess it could be a glitch. Sheese!

Trusted Contributor

@monicakm  I have never heard anything so stupid in my life, and I worked retail for 42 years. Thought I heard every retail bs there was to hear. You can return gift cards if you have the receipt. Don't let them tell you that you can't. Sephora rents space from Penneys and Kohl's. So your gift card purchase is for Sephora, the national chain, not Penneys. To my knowledge, Sephora is not a franchise, it is a national chain. So any gc purchased at any Sephora or any other retail establishment should be good at any Sephora or their online store. How Sephora is getting away with this is beyond me. Or it could be part of their contracts with Penny's and Kohl's. Either way, it's bad business. Happy New Year!

Honored Contributor

@monicakm    If this situation isn't rectified to your satisfaction, I'd contact the Federal Trade Commission with an on-line complaint.  You can use the threat of contacting them and your state's attorney general's office as leverage.  Good luck! 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Sephora within JCP is different than a regular sephora and has been for years so I doubt there is any recourse with the FTC.