Esteemed Contributor

Re: Seems I Can't Use the Sephora GC I Got For Christmas

[ Edited ]

@monicakm , Does the gift card say Sephora or Sephora at JCP or something including JCP?

Honored Contributor

give it back to the giver?

trade it in at the Coin kiosk, you used to be able to do this 

Respected Contributor

I had this happen to me, but it was the exact opposite situation. I got one of those "Happy" gift cards that you can use at multiple locations, Sephora, Buffalo Wild Wings, Red Lobster, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. I couldn't use it online or at the Sephora inside my JCP. I don't even know where a free standing Sephora store is and I don't care that much either. I've had it for a couple of years now, thinking maybe I'll use it for a dinner out or something. But it is ridiculous. 

Esteemed Contributor

The FTC might not be able to help. They investigate fraud, and this doesn't sound like it applies. It could be different policies Sephora has depending on the location. Not a good business practice, but companies can set whatever rules they wish.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@monicakm 

Yes- I found out about this a few years ago. Haven't bought a Sephora gift card since. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, the stores are treated differently which surprised me the first time I ran into a situation.  I wonder if it has to do with the agreements between the store within the larger department stores. 

Clerks really should make it clear at time of gift card purchases. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks so much everyone.  I'm going to call Sephora tomorrow and explain the situation (Christmas present, purchaser didn't realize the limitation, broken knee, etc) and ask if she can return it.  

Honored Contributor

That is insane.  You should be able to use online, and at any Sephora.  What is their problem?

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

@monicakm 

It's a shame this happened to you. Companies are making it more and more difficult to use their gift cards. It's a win win for them.

They get the money and don't end up providing a product. I imagine many people just give up and the company counts on this.

I hope you fight it and get resolution to your satisfaction.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @lil spot   I will definitely be calling tomorrow and I won't give up if the first attempt at making them do the right thing falls flat.  I don't expect any problem if my daughter can do what one poster to this thread said (return it).