Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I've wondered about "It Stays" that Patti recommends also, @IMW, but have no experience with it.

Since first wearing wigs, I've never worn anything to secure them.  The wig grip that @jubilant mentions is recommended by a lot of bloggers-- soft, non-reactive, secure apparently.

Nice to see people on this board have had good suggestions.  Additionally, here's Heather of Cysterwigs discussing the various options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCYBf0Qf2tA

Heather is 👍🏿, wonderfully informative. Have been using the wig grips, but I still have slippage.

Thank you, and thanks for the always fabulous reviews.

Regular Contributor

I spray a light bit of hair spray above my forehead on my hairline and at the middle of the back of my head right above my neck on my hairline.  I have very thin hair, but this is enough to secure my wig.  I put the wig on while the hairspray is damp and when it dries acts like a very lightweight glue. 

Contributor

@barefootwillow wrote:

I spray a light bit of hair spray above my forehead on my hairline and at the middle of the back of my head right above my neck on my hairline.  I have very thin hair, but this is enough to secure my wig.  I put the wig on while the hairspray is damp and when it dries acts like a very lightweight glue. 

Good tip.

Does it matter what kind of hair spray?

Regular Contributor

Re: Securing a Wig

[ Edited ]

@twindles

I don't think the type of hairspray matters too much.  Years ago when I discovered how well it worked, I used a really strong spray.  But, over the years, I have a found a lighter spray works well also and doesn't tug as tight on my hair then I remove the wig.  I use the brand "aussie" in a purple bottle...the name of it is "sprunch".  Also, I like to occasionally use another aussie product called "hair insurance" to freshen up the wig if needed.  I will comb thru with a large tooth comb, spray the hair insurance on lightly, put both my hands inside the wig and gently shake it a few times and then mostly finger style.  I find it gives the hair a "piecy" look, which I like.  I have worn wigs for about 14 years and most people don't know I wear one.  I think keeping from trying to make it too "perfect" looking makes it appear more natural Smiley Happy  

Contributor

@barefootwillow wrote:

@twindles

I don't think the type of hairspray matters too much.  Years ago when I discovered how well it worked, I used a really strong spray.  But, over the years, I have a found a lighter spray works well also and doesn't tug as tight on my hair then I remove the wig.  I use the brand "aussie" in a purple bottle...the name of it is "sprunch".  Also, I like to occasionally use another aussie product called "hair insurance" to freshen up the wig if needed.  I will comb thru with a large tooth comb, spray the hair insurance on lightly, put both my hands inside the wig and gently shake it a few times and then mostly finger style.  I find it gives the hair a "piecy" look, which I like.  I have worn wigs for about 14 years and most people don't know I wear one.  I think keeping from trying to make it too "perfect" looking makes it appear more natural Smiley Happy  

Thanks @barefootwillow!