Valued Contributor

Re: Scraping the Bottom of the Barrel ... or Tube!

Just a tip to share, when I cut off the top of a tube I use the top itself as a cap for the open tube. It keeps the product covered and it looks like a shorter version of the tube itself. I saw this on a YouTube video. Works great.

Esteemed Contributor

OP here <-- Actually, I was wondering what are your favorite products that you scrape out the bottom of the tube, but everybody seems to scrape everything! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Excellent!

Thanks for your input.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Super Contributor

these are good tips - I have a tube of serum I gave up on today but I am going back with some scissors

Honored Contributor

I keep some jars, to put mostly hand cream. I just add different ones and I have a brand new scent.

You can also buy travel size containers at Walmart to put small amounts.

My husband thought I was crazy until I showed him how much was left in the tube.

Honored Contributor

I do the same thing. You would be surprised how much more product you can get out of those tubes when you cut them in half. Some of these products are expensive & every bit helps save some money.

Respected Contributor

I've cut the end off a tube of JM tinted moisturizer & kept it in a zip-Lock bag so it wouldn't dry out. I used a q-tip to dip into it so that I wouldn't contaminate the product. At $28 a tube, I'm going to get every little bit! My last tube lasted a year that way.

Esteemed Contributor

No, but I usually use a tube squeezer.

Super Contributor

I just reached the end of a Dr. P Hand/Body tube of cream...first I lay it on a counter--then I take a dog-tag (something sharp/long edges) and press the tube from bottom to top many times...which pushes all the remaining creme up to the top.

I do this with tooth-paste all the time. I also may use a Q-tip to scoop out the toothpaste caught in the hole. I do this not because I "have to", it's just my waste-not/want not way of thinking...I guess! heh

Super Contributor

Yes my Dermablend foundation!
Honored Contributor

Tubes - cut 1/3 down from the bottom - cut off some main body of tube. Usually the tube slims down from base to tip. With the double cut, I can place my cut base over body of tube easier. Does that make sense? I add water to left over shampoos and body washes. Swish around and use it all up. I tilt body lotions upside down - the pump never goes down to the bottle, there is a lot still there.