Esteemed Contributor

The past year or so has seen a trend to scented color cosmetics. First it was Too Faced with their chocolate bar eyeshadow palette that smells like chocolate and then their peach scented makeup collection. So now drugstore makeup lines like L'Oreal and Covergirl are jumping on the bandwagon with their versions including L'Oreal's chocolate scented matte liquid lipstick and their peach scented eyeshadow palette and blushes. Covergirl has both chocolate scented and peach scented eyeshadow palettes. I've smelled them all as drugstores in Canada usually have testers for their drugstore brands.

So what do you think? The only one that I thought smelled ok was the L'Oreal liquid matte lipstick. The rest are too fragranced and/or smell too strong. I don't even like the fragranced Too Faced products either which I've smelled at the Sephora stores.

Honored Contributor

As long as it’s not in the foundation I don’t mind a subtle scent. I’m not sure if it lingers or not. 

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

The past year or so has seen a trend to scented color cosmetics. First it was Too Faced with their chocolate bar eyeshadow palette that smells like chocolate and then their peach scented makeup collection. So now drugstore makeup lines like L'Oreal and Covergirl are jumping on the bandwagon with their versions including L'Oreal's chocolate scented matte liquid lipstick and their peach scented eyeshadow palette and blushes. Covergirl has both chocolate scented and peach scented eyeshadow palettes. I've smelled them all as drugstores in Canada usually have testers for their drugstore brands.

So what do you think? The only one that I thought smelled ok was the L'Oreal liquid matte lipstick. The rest are too fragranced and/or smell too strong. I don't even like the fragranced Too Faced products either which I've smelled at the Sephora stores.

@TY  I don’t mind subtle, clean fragrances in my skincare. I prefer my makeup not to have fragrance. Some do, but won’t change what I use because of that. It usually goes away. The strong fragrances in hair styling products bother me much more. I’d rather smell my perfume.

Respected Contributor

Fragrance bothers me in everything. It’s a nuisance because I usually like the way something smells. And it’s not how weak or strong a fragrance is. I just can’t tolerate the effects on my skin - itching; breakouts

Honored Contributor

I really don’t understand the need for scented makeup. Isn’t that what body lotions and perfumes are for?

I prefer my skin care & makeup to be fragrance free. My asthma is aggravated by most scents added to beauty products. There are a few scents I can tolerate in a body lotion or lip balm, and those have to be very subtle scents, and nothing else.

A scented deodorant I once used caused breathing issues. Someone in my choir used to wear a perfume that irritated my breathing. Fragrance is usually a deal breaker for me. 

Respected Contributor

The scented makeup I have is not too bad. A couple weeks ago I bought the Covergirl scented palette with a bronzer, blush and highlighter. It’s peach scented and not too strong. 

@TY  Toofaced is coming out with a Tutti Frutti collection either the end of July or August. 

Respected Contributor

2347FB37-32C5-43FE-AEB3-242150C221B2.jpeg

This is a picture I found online. If you zoom in you can see there are highlighters, some blush, eyeshadow palette etc. 

Respected Contributor

I prefer unscented makeup myself.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Respected Contributor

I hate when I find a lipstick I love and it has a fruity/minty etc scent right under my nose. yuck. I'd much rather smell my perfume than my lip products.

Respected Contributor

Re: Scented color cosmetics

[ Edited ]

I'm not a fan and am among those who just don't see the point (except as a gimmicky attention-grabber, but I'm clearly not the target demographic for that!)  I have specifically avoided things like the Too Faced palettes because of the advertised scents.  Why does my makeup need to smell like a peach?!  I also don't like when companies don't include the scent in the description.  I've bought 2 Tarte eyeshadow palettes without realizing they would be vanilla scented.  I like the colors and texture of the shadows, so I'll keep them in spite of the scent.  Won't buy any more of their palettes though, since I can't trust the description will include this information.