Respected Contributor

Re: Scalp Scrubs - Was doing some reading

@KKJ wrote:

So should I toss my Tweak'd scalp scrub?

I did.  I bought it as a separate purchase, out of curiosity to try the line, and after a few uses I could see it was breaking off my fine hair, as my part was getting sparser, when it had been filling in from using a scalp tonic.  Because I hate throwing away a product I won't use out of a kit, I will be skipping the upcoming Tweak'd TSV.

Honored Contributor

I use a little round rubber "brush" to gently stimulate my scalp while shampooing. I'm not rough enough to tangle hair, but do feel that stimulating the blood flow and a bit of gentle exfoliation has the same benefits as for the face. 

I also use a rice water rinse once a week to aid in growth. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm very gentle with my hair and scalp when I wash my hair. I wasn't always that way though. I use to use a shampooing scrub brush on my head and then it dawned on me that the scrubbing was causing more hair to fall out. So no more scrubbing...with anything. Just use gentle finger action and I'm now see less hair falling out in the drain and in my brush...yay!

@SilleeMee   I think the keyword is gentle. The scalp is an extension of your face and does benefit from some stimulation.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Lali1  If you add a couple drops of tea tree oil or use a good tea tree oil shampoo it will stop the itching.  I was having scalp itch issues without dandruff.  @SilleeMee   suggested a shampoo or the drops and it stopped my itch and it hasn't been back.  HTH

@tends2dogs 

Yes, it's the Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo. My favorite. I buy it by the gallon size...lol!

@SilleeMee  Paul Mitchell makes a good Tea Tree S&C, but I'd rather put in a drop or two to my regulars if needed. You never know how much tea tree is in there. 

Honored Contributor

I am glad that I read this topic!  I have been looking at those scrubs and wondering if I should use one.  I have very fragile hair any more and some hair loss.  My hair is very long right now because I haven't gone to the salon since the virus started and I have been wearing it up in a big clip.  Now, I'm thinking I better give that a rest.  I don't wear it up tightly, but perhaps this is causing a lot of the hair loss?  Kind of scary....  I am going to lay off of it.  Although when I am doing things like cleaning house or walking, I like to get it off my neck and out of the way.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

If you do use a lot of hairspray and styling products and only wash your hair a few times a week, you may want to consider Neutrogena Clarifying Shampoo...they make an unscented now. I use it once a month to get a "fresh start".

Honored Contributor

Well wouldn't you know it.  On my front porch yesterday was my February BoxyCharm and inside was a scalp scrub.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I use a little round rubber "brush" to gently stimulate my scalp while shampooing. I'm not rough enough to tangle hair, but do feel that stimulating the blood flow and a bit of gentle exfoliation has the same benefits as for the face. 

I also use a rice water rinse once a week to aid in growth. 

@Shanus 

I use the same thing.

41+g6duO3iL._AC_SY580_.jpg

I got it off of Amazon for like $8. It has over 50,000 reviews.

It has soft, flexible fingers that gently massage the scalp.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819   That's so similar. It feels so good and my scalp and hair feel much cleaner than when I forget to use it.

Honored Contributor

I use Tweak'd scalp scrub but only once a week and use my fingers---maybe over using is a problem--my very thin hair looks alot better.