Respected Contributor

Scalp Scrubs - Was doing some reading

Found this:

So, why the ban on scalp scrubs? This is because if your hair is already weakened, scrubs may make it worse. The vigorous, scrubbing action may be too rough on fragile hair.

Furthermore, hair care products like scrubs help improve existing hair. But, they don’t help with a hair loss condition. Therefore, they shouldn’t be used to replace actual treatments.

In addition, the scrubbing or massaging action may cause further shedding. How? It circulates DHT in the bloodstream.

This metabolite is one of the main causes for both men and women. This is especially true for people who are genetically disposed to the condition. So, circulating it faster in the body can have negative consequences

Funny- I was discussing scrubs with my mom and she said "back in our day we used so many products and a CAN of hairspray a day and didn't need a scrub" - really made me think...

Just thought I would share or even generate conversation about scrubs Smiley Happy  

Honored Contributor

Re: Scalp Scrubs - Was doing some reading

I'm very gentle with my hair and scalp when I wash my hair. I wasn't always that way though. I use to use a shampooing scrub brush on my head and then it dawned on me that the scrubbing was causing more hair to fall out. So no more scrubbing...with anything. Just use gentle finger action and I'm now see less hair falling out in the drain and in my brush...yay!

Respected Contributor

I have tried them and don't like them. I feel like I have to scrub too hard to get it to do anything. Then my hair is a tangled mess and like you said hair falls out. Just another thing to sell us that we don't need. I have itchy scalp without dandruff so I tried it. Didn't help my issue. 

Respected Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

I have tried them and don't like them. I feel like I have to scrub too hard to get it to do anything. Then my hair is a tangled mess and like you said hair falls out. Just another thing to sell us that we don't need. I have itchy scalp without dandruff so I tried it. Didn't help my issue. 

@Lali1 I also have an itchy scalp with no dandruff.  I started using Fekkai CBD scalp calming shampoo and conditioner.  I am almost at the end of the bottles so I have probably been using them for 2 months.  It has really helped a lot.  I wash my hair every other day most of the time but sometimes let it go a day longer.  When I do my scalp tends to get itchy again.  

Honored Contributor

I forgot to mention...

My scalp would get really itchy for no reason, I thought. I would scrub it in the shower. Then I found out that, in my case, it was a sign of early traction hair loss from wearing my hair up at night. No more bun-wearing for me and no more itchy scalp either.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee my hairdresser really dislikes most of the products for putting hair up.  I tell her I need my hair long enough to put up and she makes a face.  However, I work out in the yard all summer and I have to get it up off my neck and out of my face.  I do use a scruncie though which seems to be the lesser of all the evils.  Every once in awhile I'll use one of those claw things which she hate. I used to put my hair up a lot for work with a large comb for holding a twist. As much as I liked the ornamental value of it, it was really hard on my hair. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lali1  If you add a couple drops of tea tree oil or use a good tea tree oil shampoo it will stop the itching.  I was having scalp itch issues without dandruff.  @SilleeMee   suggested a shampoo or the drops and it stopped my itch and it hasn't been back.  HTH

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Lali1  If you add a couple drops of tea tree oil or use a good tea tree oil shampoo it will stop the itching.  I was having scalp itch issues without dandruff.  @SilleeMee   suggested a shampoo or the drops and it stopped my itch and it hasn't been back.  HTH

@tends2dogs 

Yes, it's the Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo. My favorite. I buy it by the gallon size...lol!

Honored Contributor

Sounds like I need to toss out my scalp scrub.  Not all "new" products are good for you.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

This could possibly explain this severe alopecia flare.  I started using the Tweak'd product in July and my alopecia flare started in October.  Generally, the derm says that hair products don't cause alopecia, but I had to quit using a certain product that has a cult following here.  I loved the Tweak'd product because it smells so good, but after I've lost 90% of my hair--I quit using it because my scalp was so sensitive.