Respected Contributor

Re: Scalp Scrubs - Was doing some reading

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

If I have to then I'd rather use a clarifying shampoo, not a scrub. A vinegar rinse helps get stuff out of hair, too, and it's relatively gentle.

@SilleeMee  I used to use a vinegar rinse all the time when I was a teenager and loved how it made my hair shiny and healthy .I stopped as I got older as it seemed drying. Last week I was shopping for a 2 in1 (shampoo & conditioner) that I always buy for my husband as I know he never bothers with a conditioner -- too much trouble Smiley Happy

I usually buy 'Head & Shoulders' for him. I noticed a new one in the lineup 'Apple Cider Vinegar 2 in 1 ' and bought that. Then I was showering  and realized I forgot to bring  my usual products and gave that a try. My hair looked great with a lot of body and no itchy scalp. 

I have noticed apple cider vinegar seems to be the new darling of ingredients in many hair care products. It has a history of use probably with good reason.

@Harpa If I am planning to shampoo and not going out until afterwards I put some aloe, rosemary & peppermint  essential oil and rub on my scalp. It seems to help itchiness. I have read that rosemary is almost as productive as minioxidil at helping with hair regrowth.

Going back to original post here , I would think using  a scalp scrub occasionally might be a good idea . I would limit it though. 

Respected Contributor

I'm using Keratase shampoo and conditioner,  it's phenomenal,  and has some salicylic acid in it.  It's good for build up on the scalp or clogged follicles.  Loreal is the parent company, so I compared the 1st 5 ingredients with Keratase and Loreal, and they are quite similar, so I bought Loreal Volume shampoo/conditioner and it's also very good, at a fraction of the price..  I switch off with Oribe, and I also use Oribe scalp scrub, called Serene Scalp.  I have chronic scalp issues that sometimes cause rashes and itching and all these products seem to help.

Respected Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

I use Lush's "Big" shampoo, which has big salt crystals that dissolve as you massage your head to lather. Has solved the itch without dandruff problem. It kind of acts like a gentle scrub.

One of my friends used to love the BIG Shampoo from Lush - You can't find Lush stores around much these days, I used to love going into those stores. Fun!

Respected Contributor

@okaywitheasypay , I also have used Head n Shoulders sometimes,  and I agree, its pretty good.  I've used the one for scalp.  I'm going to finish the loreal, and Keratase I mentioned here before I buy anything else.  I have an unopened bottle of Oribe too.    

Respected Contributor

Scrubs for hair to me are not neccesary especially if your hair is very fine & prone to alot of fallout. I would much prefer a clarifying shampoo only once a month if you use alot of products or if you use a shampoo with argan oil or shea butters etc. I would never use a scrub & I have Med. fine hair. I am not a expert but its just my opinion.

Occasional Contributor

I used to use Paul Mitchell's Special Tea Tree Shampoo and realized when I Salon color my hair it stripped my color right away.  

This Paul Mitchell's Special Tea Tree Shampoo was my GO TO for my oily itchy scalp without dandruff shampoo.

I tried to COLOR safe version of the above but did not shampoo well, and the fragrance was not the same.

I now use Beekman's liquid shampoo and my itch has lessened quite a bit.  Love this shampoo a lot and hair seems fresher longer, makes hair soft and fluffier.

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I use a little round rubber "brush" to gently stimulate my scalp while shampooing. I'm not rough enough to tangle hair, but do feel that stimulating the blood flow and a bit of gentle exfoliation has the same benefits as for the face. 

I also use a rice water rinse once a week to aid in growth. 

@Shanus 

I use the same thing.

41+g6duO3iL._AC_SY580_.jpg

I got it off of Amazon for like $8. It has over 50,000 reviews.

It has soft, flexible fingers that gently massage the scalp.

I found one of these at Marshall's this weekend for $4.99 and it is fantastic. Soft but gets the job done better than the oder type of hard plastic /bristled one I tried once. Still would want to remember to be gentle. 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Lali1  If you add a couple drops of tea tree oil or use a good tea tree oil shampoo it will stop the itching.  I was having scalp itch issues without dandruff.  @SilleeMee   suggested a shampoo or the drops and it stopped my itch and it hasn't been back.  HTH

@tends2dogs 

Yes, it's the Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo. My favorite. I buy it by the gallon size...lol!

@SilleeMee  You regularly share such practical tips.

Just ordered the Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo and Conditioner. Read up on it. Fabulous!

I generally use Tweak'd now, previously WEN, and need something for a dry scalp.

Deep appreciation, friend!

Honored Contributor

You're welcome @1Professor 

I hope you enjoy using that shampoo & conditioner. Smells like peppermint!Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

You're welcome @1Professor 

I hope you enjoy using that shampoo & conditioner. Smells like peppermint!Woman Happy

@SilleeMee   It's already on the way, should arrive in a couple of days. Was impressed with the reviews of the brand.

Don't have an itchy scalp, but just noticed flakes.

*I have a new fashion rule: Wear black. Often. Exposes dry scalp.