Respected Contributor

I use silk pillowcases to protect my curly hair.  I prefer silk over satin as I didn't want the extremely slippery fabric. Silk is a natural fabric and doesn't get hot.

I tried a buff, but it bugged me.  My hair is really thick and wearing the tight buff made my head itch.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

"I toss around a lot at night."

You would do better wearing a satin head rag at bedtime.

I move around a lot at night have tried MANY options - bonnets, satin-lined caps, buffs, etc -  I can never get one to consistently stay on through the night. One might stay on 3 out of 7 nights or none of them.

I have to use a three-pronged combination:

1. "Pineapple" ponytail (high pony on top of head)
  2. Buff drawn up over hair and tied at top
  3. A silk pillowcase as the backup when the buff falls off

@Alison Wonderland, what is a "buff"? Maybe I'm just drawing a blank. :-)

@suzyQ3 ,If you've ever seen an episode of Survivor, the buff is the weird multipurpose tube the contestants use to show which team they're on.

Image result for survivor buff

Turns out, they're fantastic for curly hair. Here's the Instagram video that sold me on them. It's a series of videos. The first one, she explains plopping. Click the arrow on the right side of the video to go to part two, where she puts the buff on. Videos 3 and 4 explain what to do if your hair is super long and how she pulls the ends down over her ears and eyes to sleep.

When I pull mine over my eyes like she does, it stays on pretty well. It still falls off a lot, but far less often than anything else I've tried.

Thanks, @Alison Wonderland , I just bought one!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Anyone have luck with these?  I just ordered a couple.  I have hair breakage issues around the crown and I'm convinced it's the pillowcase giving friction. I toss around a lot at night. Silk pillowcase does not help, I'm hoping satin might.  They were cheap so if not, no big loss.

@Grouchomarx  I highly recommend a Slip pure silk pillowcase. You can purchase it at Nordstrom and Sephora. I love mine!

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Anyone have luck with these?  I just ordered a couple.  I have hair breakage issues around the crown and I'm convinced it's the pillowcase giving friction. I toss around a lot at night. Silk pillowcase does not help, I'm hoping satin might.  They were cheap so if not, no big loss.

@Grouchomarx   I don't think the pillowcase needs to be expensive. The slip factor for hair (and skin, too) is what's important. At BB & B, I purchased "pillow protectors" w/ zippers. They're a poly blend and have a satiny feel. I put them over my regular pillowcases. Yes, there's "slippage" during the night, I toss around a lot, too. I've slept on a cases similar to these since my teens. Especially great for curly hair, protects any hair from getting caught on cotton fabric and splitting. Side plus is face slides along, too...less wrinkles and I find my skincare doesn't get absorbed into cotton pillowcase. 

Trusted Contributor

I have used both satin and silk pillowcases. I have short curly hair and I have found that the higher mummyweight in the silk ones are the best. I buy mine from Amazon and like them a lot!  There is a company that advertizes on face book have the same mummy weight as the ones I buy from Amazon but they are way overpriced!!! JMO

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@arrabella wrote:

I have used both satin and silk pillowcases. I have short curly hair and I have found that the higher mummyweight in the silk ones are the best. I buy mine from Amazon and like them a lot!  There is a company that advertizes on face book have the same mummy weight as the ones I buy from Amazon but they are way overpriced!!! JMO

@arrabellacould you share the brand name??  

Trusted Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@arrabella wrote:

@tsavoriteSure----Jimoo

Valued Contributor

I bought one and used it once. I wish I could have kept using it, but it made my nightly hot flashes worse 😰

Respected Contributor

I have started using my satin pillowcases and only time will tell if they'll help with breakage.  The quality is excellent and they're very pretty - amazing it was only $11 for a pack of two king.  The funny thing is that when I wake up my hair looks crazier than ever!  Like someone sculpted it with styling product in my sleep to make me look like I had survived a tornado.

Respected Contributor

@arrabella wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@arrabella wrote:

@tsavoriteSure----Jimoo

OK I took the PLUNGE and ordered one today!  Got mine in pink to try out....sure hope it helps and thanks for the recommendationWoman Very Happy