Trusted Contributor

Salons in my state can open soon

With pretty severe limitations.

I plan to go when my hairdresser can schedule me.  I'll have to wear a mask, which may be a little cumbersome when she's cutting and coloring around my ears, but at this point I will happily wear the mask.  (I wear one in public, anyway.)

The no blow drying rule doesn't bother me in the least.  

With the part of the state I live in, and knowing that she has been home all this time and we're both healthy - I'm going to take the chance.

I can't wait - my last appointment was scheduled for the day the state shut down, so it's been a l-o-n-g time.

Honored Contributor

Re: Salons in my state can open soon

I wish my local Supercuts would open.  It is a big area and I don't think there would be any problem keeping social distance except of course for the person cutting my hair.  I'm typically in and out in about 15 minutes so I certainly would be willing to take the chance.

Esteemed Contributor

I would defintely NOT take  a chance! Needing my har cut is such a small thing to delay during the pandemic. While the new cases in my state is decreasing, the daily deaths are still in the hundreds.

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover  You are lucky.  Hopefully, your hair stylist wears a mask too.  I think the no hair dryer really stinks.  How can you tell what the hair cut looks like?  I live in IL and we are in quarantine until end of May.  The governor of IL and the mayor of Chicago are really conservative on the reopening which is good but still difficult for everyone involved.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

I would defintely NOT take  a chance! Needing my har cut is such a small thing to delay during the pandemic. While the new cases in my state is decreasing, the daily deaths are still in the hundreds.

@Ibby114   ITA. It's personal choice, but I'm not willing to chance my life for nails or a hair cut. I'm hoping after this experience, women will be more adept at taking care of their own "upkeep", so if emergencies arise, roots and gel nails don't raise such an issue. I know it's easy for me to say since neither is a priority. 

Esteemed Contributor

I was reading earlier that here in Ct many hairdressers are expressing concern that being allowed to reopen on the 20th of this month is too soon because of the close contact they have to have with their clients. This is in spite of all the restrictions and rules and regulations they would have to adhere to as well as how badly this is affecting their wallets. So perhaps some will go ahead and open and some won't depending on how they feel about staying safe.

Regular Contributor

In my state, Indiana, the salons can open today but there are all kinds of restrictions and rules regarding how business can take place.  My 85 year old mother lives with my husband and me and, for convenience, I always schedule our hair appointments so that one follows the other.  I'm not sure how this is going to work as the salon has said that only one family member is allowed in the salon at a time and the other must wait in their vehicle.  Mom isn't able to get out of the chair without my help, and that's not something I would ever ask anyone else to help with - plus it would really violate the 6 foot rule.  Anyway, although we both really, really need our hair cut, I'm going to wait at least another month before making an appointment.  

Honored Contributor

I'm thinking about the cost of reopening + the added expenses of adhering to the regulations....seeing only one client, spacing chairs 6 ft. apart, etc.  I'm sure the salons will not be fully booked. Many people are still staying away from salons, stores and restaurants in states that have opened. 

Honored Contributor

Our salons are allowed to open beginning 5pm on Monday which means Tuesday.  I don't get why the Gov chose 5pm instead of just saying Tuesday at, say, 8 am.  It made more sense to have a 5 pm cutoff when closing things down, but not for opening up. Mine is doing different shifts for the different stylists so that people can be spaced properly.  Of course, that means nobody gets to have a full work load.  

The E-mail I got said nothing about blow dryers.  Not a bid deal for me anyways since I always dry my own hair, and if I can't even use the diffuser I can just go home with it wet.  I usually leave the salon with wet hair after a perm anyways.  

Mine specifically says to wear a mask that fastens behind the ears, so I don't see why coloring around it should be a problem.  Of course, she'll probably get color on the elastic, but that wouldn't bother me.  However, for chemical services they say to wear a top that doesn't matter as they will have the restroom closed and you won't be able to remove it.  They don't want people's shirts hanging in the restroom.  

I'm not rushing to get an appointment.  I just did my own roots and even though my hair is longer than normal it still styles nicely.  I'll wait until they call and schedule whenever they want.

One of the things they did mention was to please be honest with them if you used box color on your roots. They promised not to judge.  But, they really need to know because the cemicals used in box color are different than pro color and there could be a disaster.  

Honored Contributor

Risking your life for vanity reasons...hair cuts...nails...etc,  going to a gym....going to a shopping mall to shop... or going bowling sounds  just really stupid to me.

sadly There  are a lot of stupid people. 💀