Super Contributor

Re: Salons in my state can open soon

There are basically 2 types of beauty salons...The huge "Super Cuts" multiple station shampoo bowls & the "boutique" individual sole operator with a completly closed area within a larger building.

Hubby & I are both super high risk in 3 categories who have been self- quarantined for over 10 weeks just got our hair cut & mine colored/highlighted in the 2nd type of salon.

Our sylist made us wait in our car & texted both of us to enter. Everyone in the building had to be in a sylist's enclosed ceiling to floor space wearing mask & gloves too. Our sylist (wearing a mask at all times) has cut her appointments in half so that she can santizie her salon in between customers & only allows multiples from one family in at a time.

She follows all the protecols including one gown, towel etc. per client, which after use is put in a sealed container to be washed at the end of the day.

At first I must admit I was terrified, but after her call to explain the state's rules & the beauty board's policies I felt perfectly safe.

I live in Georgia & we were the first state to reopen salons. While I would NOT feel safe in the larger type salon with multiple stations or nail salons, I do & will continue to feel safe in the smaller "boutique" self enclosed type.

FYI I even called my Primary Care Doc first before we made & appt. & he was perfectly fine with the smaller individual salon, but NOT the Large Super Cuts type!

Respected Contributor

My stylist is the single owner/operator of her salon.  When I go she is usually finishing a client and when I leave, another usually arrives.  When she re-opens, (not soon enough) she will schedule a client every 2 hours.  You will wait in your car until she calls you. She is meticulous under normal conditions.

I will feel much safer there then I do when I grocery shop or go to the drug store.

Trusted Contributor

@wenfen wrote:

There are basically 2 types of beauty salons...The huge "Super Cuts" multiple station shampoo bowls & the "boutique" individual sole operator with a completly closed area within a larger building.

Hubby & I are both super high risk in 3 categories who have been self- quarantined for over 10 weeks just got our hair cut & mine colored/highlighted in the 2nd type of salon.

Our sylist made us wait in our car & texted both of us to enter. Everyone in the building had to be in a sylist's enclosed ceiling to floor space wearing mask & gloves too. Our sylist (wearing a mask at all times) has cut her appointments in half so that she can santizie her salon in between customers & only allows multiples from one family in at a time.

She follows all the protecols including one gown, towel etc. per client, which after use is put in a sealed container to be washed at the end of the day.

At first I must admit I was terrified, but after her call to explain the state's rules & the beauty board's policies I felt perfectly safe.

I live in Georgia & we were the first state to reopen salons. While I would NOT feel safe in the larger type salon with multiple stations or nail salons, I do & will continue to feel safe in the smaller "boutique" self enclosed type.

FYI I even called my Primary Care Doc first before we made & appt. & he was perfectly fine with the smaller individual salon, but NOT the Large Super Cuts type!

That is exactly the type of salon my hairdresser has and she will be following the same protocol.  I can't wait until she is up and running.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Risking your life for vanity reasons...hair cuts...nails...etc,  going to a gym....going to a shopping mall to shop... or going bowling sounds  just really stupid to me.

sadly There  are a lot of stupid people. 💀 

@SeaMaiden, there is no need to call people names.  Everyone is free to choose to go to a salon or spa or not go.  And the salons, spas, etc. are free to not open if they don't feel it is safe either.

These poor people have been out of work for well over a month, with absolutely no income because in Ohio they still have not been able to apply for and receive unemployment.   

so spread the virus to help these people make a living? Hmmm interesting point of view.

@SeaMaiden, I feel better going to a hair salon where there are 6 people max in my salon, including stylists and clients, than to a Walmart where there are hundreds of people, many not wearing masks and most not adhering to social distancing.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Love to read wrote:

In my state, Indiana, the salons can open today but there are all kinds of restrictions and rules regarding how business can take place.  My 85 year old mother lives with my husband and me and, for convenience, I always schedule our hair appointments so that one follows the other.  I'm not sure how this is going to work as the salon has said that only one family member is allowed in the salon at a time and the other must wait in their vehicle.  Mom isn't able to get out of the chair without my help, and that's not something I would ever ask anyone else to help with - plus it would really violate the 6 foot rule.  Anyway, although we both really, really need our hair cut, I'm going to wait at least another month before making an appointment.  

@Love to read, according to earlier news, not one state that is reopening has met the threshold of having 14 days of declining cases.

Is there any other way that you could help your 85-year-old mom without risking any possible infection?

@suzyQ3 , the PIttsburgh area has met that criteria. However, our governor is being very strict about what can open. So we won't see salons opening for quite some time. 

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I want my dog's beauty shop to open. 

@qualitygal , as bad as I want a haircut my dog was in dire need. She was to have an appointment last week. My groomer sent an email saying that if I was comfortable bringing her in she would do her. She has been able to stay open because she also sells dog and cat food and other supplies. She just asked that I don't mention it to anyone else in my area. I stayed in my car and one of the workers came out with a mask. Paid over the phone. They brought her out when they were finished. So she isn't having any customers actually enter the building.

Trusted Contributor

i just dont get at all how and why they are opening beaches for memorial day and the boardwalks ( for take out foods) and not hair salons??? my hair place even when crowded which it never really is will have maybe 6 people in there getting their hair done and its a big place.. but your opening beaches????????  i dont get it at all... 

Esteemed Contributor

There was a story on the news last night -- one barber in Kingston, NY opened his shop last week against stay-at-home orders.  He became ill with Covid-19, and he infected 12 of his customers (who, of course, went home and infected members of their families).

I don't know.... I need a haircut, but is it worth the risk?  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt