Respected Contributor

Long story why, but I didn't get my hair color for awhile.  Went to salon yesterday for cut and color.

I had a lot of gray around my face, and hated it.  The color is pretty, a shiny, bright, silver.  But I felt my face was so washed out.

When I got my auburn color back (was my natural color), I felt 20 years younger!  Wow, I felt like "me" again.

So, for me, no gray any time soon.

It was good to go because at the shampoo sink I was told that I had the most beautiful skin she had ever seen.  She said it was "perfect.  Nice!  I do take good care, but my mother and grandmother also had great skin, so I've been blessed.

Use Retin-A and vitamin C serum!!

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

I used to be a medium blonde and am now white. After getting my haircuts, I always go home and put blonde color in.  I agree --- takes 20 yrs off. I'm light complected with green eyes - and white hair makes me look "old".

Honored Contributor

I know just how you feel, when I go for my monthly appointment, I just say " fix it ", and I leave feeling great. Money well spent. LOL.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I was a colorist for years. I mainly did corrective color and highlift and more complicated blondes but I know many women will say color is the last thing they will give up. There are so many great products that you can get at beauty supply stores that most women can do them at home now if they need to cut the expense.

I think whatever a women chooses to do if they want to continue to color or let it grow out is great. I do like that color has become more accessible and has really improved in both the ease to do it and the quality.

I do have a bit of gray but not enough to get a good idea of how it will look. I will assess that situation when I do. There are some women who really do look great with gray hair. They have nice gray or silver and a great skin tone. My daughters grandmother is one of those women. She seriously has the most beautiful silver hair I have ever seen, and I have colored a lot of heads or hair. It is gorgeous and it goes with her skin tone beautifully. I was the one that told her to stop coloring her hair. She didn't want to and would grow it out for a while and then color it again but she finally stopped. She does look older because people with gray hair almost always do but I love her hair and think it suits her. It rattled her at first because when she colored her hair, people would peg her for younger and now they don't. That bothered her at first but now she is fine with it. She gets so many compliments on her gray hair, that being pegged for younger didn't bother her as much. When she stopped coloring her hair she didn't like the texture of it and now that she wasn't coloring it, it wasn't calming it down. It was slightly more wiry since we stopped the coloring so now I do a keratin treatment on her hair and she loves the way it feels. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I was a colorist for years. I mainly did corrective color and highlift and more complicated blondes but I know many women will say color is the last thing they will give up. There are so many great products that you can get at beauty supply stores that most women can do them at home now if they need to cut the expense.

I think whatever a women chooses to do if they want to continue to color or let it grow out is great. I do like that color has become more accessible and has really improved in both the ease to do it and the quality.

I do have a bit of gray but not enough to get a good idea of how it will look. I will assess that situation when I do. There are some women who really do look great with gray hair. They have nice gray or silver and a great skin tone. My daughters grandmother is one of those women. She seriously has the most beautiful silver hair I have ever seen, and I have colored a lot of heads or hair. It is gorgeous and it goes with her skin tone beautifully. I was the one that told her to stop coloring her hair. She didn't want to and would grow it out for a while and then color it again but she finally stopped. She does look older because people with gray hair almost always do but I love her hair and think it suits her. It rattled her at first because when she colored her hair, people would peg her for younger and now they don't. That bothered her at first but now she is fine with it. She gets so many compliments on her gray hair, that being pegged for younger didn't bother her as much. When she stopped coloring her hair she didn't like the texture of it and now that she wasn't coloring it, it wasn't calming it down. It was slightly more wiry since we stopped the coloring so now I do a keratin treatment on her hair and she loves the way it feels. 

My stylist also told me that the texture issues I complained about are also helped by color.  Boy was she right!  My hair looks less frizzy with color.  No product I tried helped it.

She told me she has a client around 70.  She said she is very attractive and has beautiful gray hair.  However, she said she would look much younger if she colored her hair.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Re: Salon trip yesterday

[ Edited ]

PSX_20170202_181710.jpg 

Six years ago stopped coloring, Told myself if I didn't like the results would color. Loved my shades of grey. Both Grandmother's had beautiful silver hair. Why compare between coloring or not? Do what makes you feel best. "Live and Let Live" 💗

Super Contributor

Hyacinth, congrats on the compliments.  What Vitamin C serum do you recommend? Do you apply it twice a day? Thx. 

Respected Contributor

Hair dilemmas, ugh....  To Irshgrl or anyone!  I hope you don't mind a question please... Does repeated highlighting cause damage? I'm 55 and have super dark brown hair that is coarse, frizzy, difficult. The gray is minimal (my only hair gift) so I've been highlighting to bring in some dimension and lighten the harsh dark color and mask the gray.  Probably had it done 8 times in couple years. Suddenly, I think the texture is frizzier now... could it be damaged?  As a remedy,   I thought for a while I'll stop And just do a Demi permanent rinse but still don't want darrrrk brown- black... Can I use a Demi rinse  that is more auburn?   Any thoughts or suggestions from pro or friend are appreciated!!  Many thanks-  Good hair days and blessings ~ 💖 Skye

Valued Contributor

Interesting topic and comments. I colored my hair for years, adding lowlights, highlights, the works. Then I lost it all to chemo and it's just now coming back.The surprise is, although it's dark in the back, a lot of salt and pepper, it's silvery white in front -- and I like it! Gets lots of compliments, too. I agree it tends to wash one out since my skin is very light, but makeup and blush, etc. take care of that.

It's a new look for me, and one I am embracing!

Honored Contributor

Re: Salon trip yesterday

[ Edited ]

@Zita wrote:

Interesting topic and comments. I colored my hair for years, adding lowlights, highlights, the works. Then I lost it all to chemo and it's just now coming back.The surprise is, although it's dark in the back, a lot of salt and pepper, it's silvery white in front -- and I like it! Gets lots of compliments, too. I agree it tends to wash one out since my skin is very light, but makeup and blush, etc. take care of that.

It's a new look for me, and one I am embracing!

Hearing about your recovery. Congratulations! Embracing your new hair. You brought up interesting point failed to mention. For some not all, Skin tone lightens with age, Mine has. My hair brightens my fearures so much more than when I colored. Yes makeup even simple routine adds alot. Keep it simple, My mantra. 💗