Regular Contributor

Salon Haircare Products in the drug/grocery store..WHY?

Can anyone help me understand this? YEARS ago, Paul Mitchell was the first haircare line that showed up in the grocery and drugstores. Now, there is almost every brand there. Recently I just found Its a 10 at my grocery store as well as Biolage, Bumble&Bumble, Redken, Joico, etc, etc, etc.

The bottles say "Not guaranteed unless purchased in a salon". Now, I have always known this to be true, and that these products were considered black market and not "real". I have had discussions with other salon professionals who say that the brands (paul mitchell, biolage, etc) are fighting this. But, what I don't understand is HOW can these stores sell this stuff when they are not legal? Even drugstore.com sells the stuff and states on the site that they are not an "authorized" reseller of the products. I don't understand this. How can the drugstores do this and why can't Paul Mitchell walk in there and pull the stuff? Something is not kosher here.

I recently bought a bottle of Angel perfume from CVS. There is supposed to be a code inside the box that you use on her website to join a club. The code was literally cut out of the box and replaced with electric tape!!!! I called the company and she said CVS is not an authorized seller of the product, that they only sell to select dept. stores. She said it is BLACK MARKET. She also said their prices don't vary. The same bottle is 78 online, and 57 at CVS. After investigating, I found that CVS purchases their stock from FRAGRANCE.NET!!

I'm just curious if anyone knows how this works, as I don't understand it, and really just want to know if these items are legit or truly fakes/blackmarket. TIA!