Respected Contributor

@hooked on books wrote:
@kitcat51, this is what I'm afraid will happen with our state as well if people don't follow the guidelines very carefully!

People in my area are frustrated, they just want the opportunity to move forward following guidelines like other States that have opened. I'll admit, I'm frustrated too. Darn, I just realized in my first post I forgot...Great news about your appointment @hooked on books, Enjoy! Be well.

Honored Contributor

Parts of my state is beginning to open tomorrow. Hair salons are scheduled to open the 29th. Now I hear that our governor won't allow them to open until phase 4 or 5 (we are in phase 3)!! Now I'm getting very angry! My salon consists of my stylist/owner and me. That's it. Just the two of us every time I go. I just can't see not being allowed to go. Grrrrr.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I'm going next Thursday 9A, mask on me and them. They're also taking temperatures of clients as we get there as they are of their own employees. No idea what temp treshhold they'll be looking at though. Temps are different for each of us not once but many times throughout a given day.

Anyway, had to download a specific phone number so we text them from our auto upon arrival, they text back to say it's oaky to enter. Of course with color, the stylists will have gloves on. They are not blow drying however.

Having my root touchup & highlights done, no cut as I've been letting it grow out from being very short, just a very quick snap at the neckline, all of a minute to do. They also are having clients sign an online waiver, if anythning happens, we won't sue but all the waiver addressed was their own services offered. I signed it, I don't care.

They're calling this first re-opening Phase 1 and apparently asked only a handful of stylists to return and my typical girl isn't one of them. I'm seeing someone else, I just hope she's good with color!

As far as the waiver goes, if I contract covid-19 I'll know exactly where it came from. No I wouldn't sue them over this but I will be p-o'd as all get out as both me and DH have so far been clean from this virus.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

I'm going next Thursday 9A, mask on me and them. They're also taking temperatures of clients as we get there as they are of their own employees. No idea what temp treshhold they'll be looking at though. Temps are different for each of us not once but many times throughout a given day.

Anyway, had to download a specific phone number so we text them from our auto upon arrival, they text back to say it's oaky to enter. Of course with color, the stylists will have gloves on. They are not blow drying however.

Having my root touchup & highlights done, no cut as I've been letting it grow out from being very short, just a very quick snap at the neckline, all of a minute to do. They also are having clients sign an online waiver, if anythning happens, we won't sue but all the waiver addressed was their own services offered. I signed it, I don't care.

They're calling this first re-opening Phase 1 and apparently asked only a handful of stylists to return and my typical girl isn't one of them. I'm seeing someone else, I just hope she's good with color!

As far as the waiver goes, if I contract covid-19 I'll know exactly where it came from. No I wouldn't sue them over this but I will be p-o'd as all get out as both me and DH have so far been clean from this virus.

@PINKdogWOOD, personally, I'm not ready to go to a hair salon, every if they open here. But if I did and I thought that I contracted the virus there, I would be more p-o'd at myself. I won't return until I am ready to take responsiblity for whatever might happen.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

As of now, l'm postponing medical and dental visits for safety reasons. So a salon appointment is lower on my priorities list. My state hasn't allowed hair salons to open yet anyway, and it might be several weeks away.

I cut and color my own hair, and you'd be surprised-- it's not as hard as many would think! You Tube can be very helpful for beginners. 

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Trusted Contributor
@kitcat51, thanks, looking forward to this appointment! I know, everyone is getting frustrated and bored and that's when they'll let their guard down! I hope that I'm very, very wrong but I just have a feeling that this horrible virus is going to grab ahold of us again just when we think things are getting better. You stay safe and well also!!! Fingers crossed for us all!!!
Trusted Contributor
@PINKdogWOOD, I guess this is where we have to use our own judgement, based on our comfort level. I'm going for a cut, color and foils on Monday and I would never even consider suing the salon should I be unfortunate enough to contract the virus from this visit. This is my personal choice and responsibility to walk through the door and put myself in their hands. Some people just aren't ready to do that. I'm a total Nervous Nelly in general but I feel perfectly comfortable about having my hair done. I would not be ready, at this point, to visit a nail salon. I love my pedicures but nope, not yet!!! Be safe!!
Super Contributor

Ladies and gents, please be careful.  In my opnion it is not safe to go to a salon yet.  Especially in places where COVID cases are still going up.  The CDC and many virologists think that blow drying will spread the virus.  It will be a while before I will go back to a salon.  I will also not believe the salon assurances that they do everything to keep you safe.  Do they desinfect the combs and brushes after each customer?  Use towels that have been washed in very hot water?  Then the capes, I bet they are re-used between customers.  Sorry, I will not trust a salon for a long time.  I will not risk my health to get a professional hair cut.

Esteemed Contributor

@TW wrote:

Ladies and gents, please be careful.  In my opnion it is not safe to go to a salon yet.  Especially in places where COVID cases are still going up.  The CDC and many virologists think that blow drying will spread the virus.  It will be a while before I will go back to a salon.  I will also not believe the salon assurances that they do everything to keep you safe.  Do they desinfect the combs and brushes after each customer?  Use towels that have been washed in very hot water?  Then the capes, I bet they are re-used between customers.  Sorry, I will not trust a salon for a long time.  I will not risk my health to get a professional hair cut.

My hair is much too long, and I would love to get it cut.  But I agree with you.  I wouldn't feel safe going to a salon yet, and I'm in no rush to do so.  There are a lot of concerns in a salon, but what bothers me most is having my stylist up so close and touching me - after he's done the same with other clients. 

I've been going to him for a very long time and I trust him and the safety practices of his salon - but there's no avoiding the up-close and touching part, and I'm nowhere near feeling comfortable about that.

Respected Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

We're very naughty, we're not following the Stay At Home order so our Governor says they may be forced to extend it AGAIN...at this rate it may be months before I get a cut & color. Good grief, ugh & other words I can't post here.

@kitcat51 , our governor has been toying with us. Every week he ups the anty for the goal we are to meet. Every week we meet  that goal and still no salons or other nonessentials are open here. I have many unkind words for him and his secretary of health who is a complete joke.