Trusted Contributor

I have an appointment for June 15, but things sound dicey for my hairdresser.  She's been closed since early in March.  It's a small salon so she won't be able to color my hair then cut another customer's hair while I process.  You know how that rotation goes all day.  It can only be me in there. 

On top of the huge hit her business has taken now she has to operate like this, maybe seeing six customers a day instead of many more.  She is afraid this is the end of the business.  I've been with her since she graduated from hairdressing school and have watched her build her business up from renting a chair to a cheap little hole in the wall to a very nice small salon in an expensive part of town. 

Her lease on the salon didn't take a hiatus and she spent thousands on new software, PPE, etc. I feel so bad for her.  

Honored Contributor

@Ladygray wrote:

There is a hair place in Springfield, MO that has infected over 140 people since the 2 stylists tested positive for Covid-19.

They "claim" they were wearing masks, but it still spread like wildfire and affected all those clients. 

I go to work everyday and one guy coughs and just turns his head.  It is so disrespectful to everyone.  I am wearing a mask all day in my office, I'm the only one wearing it.  But I don't care. 

My state's cases have increased substantially since they opened up businesses.  Some people don't care.   I protect others, but am not comfortable now going to get my hair cut.  Since a hair stylist is right next to you, perhaps we all need more sophisticated masks than the cloth ones many of us can only find. 

I am all alone.  If I get this, no one will help me and I don't know what I will do.

@Ladygray, they exposed 140 people. They didn't necessarily infect 140 people.  

Regular Contributor

Re: Salon Appointment!

[ Edited ]

I drove to a different county last night to get a haircut at Great Clips. The county I live in is still on lockdown. My last cut was in February and I was way overdue. It feels great!. I had to wear a mask and they took my temp when I walked in. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Our salons have finally been allowed to reopen.  I was wondering why it was ok for me to go to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned, with someone's hand in my mouth for that amt of time, but not for me to be masked, as well as stylist, for a haircut.  We pretty much opened the gates last weekend and people were out en masse.   I figure by the time my appointments roll around at the end of June we will either be having a huge spike or not.  If all is well and we are not seeing a spike I will probably go ahead and go.

Honored Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

Our salons have finally been allowed to reopen.  I was wondering why it was ok for me to go to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned, with someone's hand in my mouth for that amt of time, but not for me to be masked, as well as stylist, for a haircut.  We pretty much opened the gates last weekend and people were out en masse.   I figure by the time my appointments roll around at the end of June we will either be having a huge spike or not.  If all is well and we are not seeing a spike I will probably go ahead and go.

@Wsmom, from what I hear, many dentists are/were just seeing patients if it was an an emergency. It's probably up the dentist.

But dentistry is essential; hair salons are not, even though my gray roots scream otherwise. :-)

When L.A. County does let salons open, I'm going to wait and see. As much as I like my stylist, I'm not so sure that the owner herself will be competent enough to put in place the best protocals.

If there aren't companies that can come and prepare businesses for opening, there should be.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 , my dentist has posted that they are now open, call now to schedule an appointment and that they are following the rules, etc.  I am still pretty iffy about going for a cleaning though.  

As far as the salon, my gal is in one of those large salon-suite type of places and shares a room with one other guy whose chair is across the room.  She has been posting updates on instagram what kind of measures they are taking and the new rules for her clients.  Whole new world.  Still iffy there, too.   If it were the place I went to before, I absolutely would wait...bigger salon with people all crammed right next to you.  When the stylist next to me was blow drying her client's hair, it would blow my hair.  That's how crammed in we were.

What a great idea about a company to prepare for openings!  

Honored Contributor