Honored Contributor

Re: Sally Hansen Miracle Gel ...Lasts 14 days..

On 4/5/2015 doglover3 said:

I can't wear gel polishes at all but I do love and use Sally H diamond strength nail polish all the time as well as her hard as nails. The tinted one which gives me a nice soft pink color(nicer than Perfect Formula). I find the diamond strength lasts me from Friday to Friday which is when I do my nails.

the triple shine and the insta-dri are great too but I'm still on the fence about the miracle chill
Respected Contributor

On 4/5/2015 rac71 said:
On 4/5/2015 Kjelle said: I have been using various brands of gel polish that don't require a light and CND which really does last a week BUT I do not buy their whole step process. Without fail I use the clear Perfect Formula gel polish from QVC as my base coat, which is a nail protector product for growing your nails. Then I just use whatever gel polish and top coat. I never wanted the strong gel polish product on my bare nail. If I use Sally Hansen Miracle Gel polish, I use Revlon Color Envy Gel top coat. I've actually been using that over regular polishes to great effect, too.
Do you find the Revlon top coat works well over other 2-step brand polishes? Sometimes I want other colors, but the idea of investing in each company's "system" is off-putting and costly.
So far yes, I am trying different combos, but of the brands with steps, I have only bought polish. Then use either CND or Revlon Gel Envy over the top. Incidentally, non-gel wise, I was very disappointed in Butter London staying power. I have now purchased their top coat. I didn't have the Revlon Gel Envy top coat yet, I was using regular Revlon Color Last top coat. I'll give the Butter London a chance with their own top coat and with the Gel Envy. If that doesn't solve that, I'm done with Butter London.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Respected Contributor

On 4/5/2015 ID2 said:

I've tried them all! I've ended up solely using Revlons Gel Envy polish and topcoat. I have thrown out all my other polishes and only have the Gel Envy. I find it lasts and lasts and looks so professionally done! And no light is needed. Right now I'm wearing their Pocket Aces on my hands and Full House on my toes!

I agree. Gel Envy top coat is excellent. I use the Revlon Color Last top coat over regular polishes for great staying power too.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Respected Contributor

On 4/5/2015 Andreatoo said:
On 4/5/2015 doglover3 said:

I can't wear gel polishes at all but I do love and use Sally H diamond strength nail polish all the time as well as her hard as nails. The tinted one which gives me a nice soft pink color(nicer than Perfect Formula). I find the diamond strength lasts me from Friday to Friday which is when I do my nails.

the triple shine and the insta-dri are great too but I'm still on the fence about the miracle chill

I have never tried the triple shine but do have a few insta dri ones since the diamond strength doesn't come in some colors I want to use sometimes but prefer the hard as nails in the tinted color which is just a very soft pink almost like the perfect formula one.

Valued Contributor

I really like this polish......Works great on my hard to grow nails!

Valued Contributor

I have not tried this, but thanks for the review/update.

Super Contributor

On 4/5/2015 Shelbelle said:
On 4/5/2015 rac71 said:
On 4/5/2015 Kjelle said: I have been using various brands of gel polish that don't require a light and CND which really does last a week BUT I do not buy their whole step process. Without fail I use the clear Perfect Formula gel polish from QVC as my base coat, which is a nail protector product for growing your nails. Then I just use whatever gel polish and top coat. I never wanted the strong gel polish product on my bare nail. If I use Sally Hansen Miracle Gel polish, I use Revlon Color Envy Gel top coat. I've actually been using that over regular polishes to great effect, too.
Do you find the Revlon top coat works well over other 2-step brand polishes? Sometimes I want other colors, but the idea of investing in each company's "system" is off-putting and costly.

My experience with these 2 step systems is that none of them are any good as far as longevity, including using the top coats with other brands, Revlon included.

I totally agree - for some reason I must just be a person that these gel products just don't work on - I've tried numerous ones from drug store brand to higher end and I get chips within a day with every one. I keep coming back to the perfect formula pink gel coat as my base coat w/ seche vite top coat with whatever brand of color. That seems to work best for me and even then I'll get a few chips within about 4 days or so. Mostly I just try to wear light or nude color polishes to not be as noticeable even though I LOVE wearing color. I just have to know if I'm wearing a dark or bright color it won't last very long.

Honored Contributor

I had good luck with Revlon Colorstay and used the top coat with most of my polishes.

Then, I tried Vinylux. It lasted well on my nails but the colors weren't the best. I have scads of polish so gave them a try with Vinylux top coat. I seldom ever have a chip. Generally I have a polish change every week only because I tire of the color. When I've been on vacation, it has lasted 2 weeks.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/4/2015 mima said:

Gel polish ruined my nails. I am still trying to get them back in shape. I won't use them again. It wasn't that brand though.

Gel didn't ruin my nails but I couldn't get the dang stuff off. Not using anymore.

Respected Contributor

On 4/6/2015 dal said:
On 4/5/2015 Shelbelle said:
On 4/5/2015 rac71 said:

My experience with these 2 step systems is that none of them are any good as far as longevity, including using the top coats with other brands, Revlon included.

I totally agree - for some reason I must just be a person that these gel products just don't work on - I've tried numerous ones from drug store brand to higher end and I get chips within a day with every one. I keep coming back to the perfect formula pink gel coat as my base coat w/ seche vite top coat with whatever brand of color. That seems to work best for me and even then I'll get a few chips within about 4 days or so. Mostly I just try to wear light or nude color polishes to not be as noticeable even though I LOVE wearing color. I just have to know if I'm wearing a dark or bright color it won't last very long.

I find the gel doesn't work on my nails from the cheapest of cheap to the most expensive salon versions. I have weak nails, so they chip within a few days. I am taking vitamins and using Nailtiques Formula 2. So far they are working well, but will be several months for the new growth to be strong enough to hold a manicure more than a few days, usually one day.