Frequent Contributor

Sally Hansen Gel Polish - Don't Waste Your Money

Gave myself a gel manicure this weekend using the Sally Hansen Gel Polish. Paid about $10.00 for it at the drugstore with a coupon. This is the one that has to cure with a light. Followed the instructions and also looked at youtube video. Prepared nails, cured both polish and top coat with a UV light. Peeled off in sheets by the end of the day. I was very careful not to go too close to the cuticle or get it on my skin. Terrible product!!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Sally Hansen Gel Polish - Don't Waste Your Money

I recently purchased the Sally Hansen miracle gel and I love it. You first apply the gel color and then follow with the gel top coat,no light needed. I purchased the blue hue color and am surprised how well it goes with everything I wear.

Esteemed Contributor

Leelyn, I had the same experience with the Sally Hansen Gel polish.  It lasted for a shorter time on me than their regular polish.  

Respected Contributor

@Leelynn  I'm sorry you paid all that money and had such a bad experience.  I've been using the Sally Hansen Miracle Gel (the one where you simply apply the top coat in the black bottle over the color, no light necessary), and I have literally gotten rid of all my other polishes (even OPI).  I love this stuff because it stays on without any change for a full week.  It's normally $10, but there are often sales where you can get it for about $7.50.  I hope you try it!

Laura loves cats!
Frequent Contributor

Maybe the one that doesn't require a light works better.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been using and loving Pink Armor nail gel (no light required).  It never chips or peels and really makes your nails hard.

I have always had weak, thin nails that peeled and never grew, but when my hair started thinning, my Dr. suggested 10,000 mcg of Biotin a day and that not only helped stop the thinning, but my hair & nails grow like crazy now!

Although that did make my nails a bit stronger, but not strong enough.

I used the Pink Armor a week ago and yesterday I was digging up weeds with my nails and thought, "there goes my nails and polish", but once I scrubbed my hands, all nails and the polish are still intact!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom

10,000 mcgs of what??

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@KingstonsMom

10,000 mcgs of what??

@JustJazzmom

I'm so sorry! Thank you for alerting me to my omission, I'll correct it!

10,000 mcg of Biotin a day.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@Leelynn First kudos for following the instructions. I apologize for not replying on your prior thread. Comments ended and it slipped off my radar. I will say that I wanted to follow the comments for a bit. They confirmed what I had already learned from an international nail authority who I am lucky enough to be in contact with. Some ladies have found well educated nail techs and had minimal, if any, issues. Others went to techs who confirmed his comments that there is much damage resulting from techs who, for whatever reason, don't have all the knowledge necessary to do gel manicures without damage. I've only watched a very few youtube videos. The ones I've seen have been at least somewhat incomplete at best, and some of them were so bad that I cringed just watching them.

Since you mentioned being careful to avoid your cuticles and skin, I assume you also cleaned away any gel you may have accidently gotten on them. But there are many other factors that can cause service failure (the polish coming off your nails as you described would be one example of this)If you'd like to do some research on your own, I'd definitely recommend the Techinical Articles on Doug Schoon's website (you may also want to check out the Educational Updates page). . 

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I've been using and loving Pink Armor nail gel (no light required).  It never chips or peels and really makes your nails hard.

I have always had weak, thin nails that peeled and never grew, but when my hair started thinning, my Dr. suggested 10,000 mcg of Biotin a day and that not only helped stop the thinning, but my hair & nails grow like crazy now!

Although that did make my nails a bit stronger, but not strong enough.

I used the Pink Armor a week ago and yesterday I was digging up weeds with my nails and thought, "there goes my nails and polish", but once I scrubbed my hands, all nails and the polish are still intact!

I also take the same dose of Biotin and it does work. I think it took about 6 months to really notice the change especially for my hair.

I do my nails in the evening while watching TV, before going to bed. I think my polish lasts longer than doing it during the day.....