Regular Contributor

Safety of Bare Minerals Cosmetics

I use Bare Minerals foundation powders, mineral veil and eye shadows and blush for years! With all this Talk about Talc and Cancer does anyone know if BE has any concerning powders I it and if it is safe to use.
Respected Contributor

Re: Safety of Bare Minerals Cosmetics

To my knowledge, the talc issue has focused on inhaling talc (say lung cancer) and the use of talcum powder in the genital region.  Say applying it on the body in that region or on sanitary napkins, etc.  That has been studied for some time in ovarian cancer risk.

Talc that contained asbestos (not contained in modern products) was thought to have a risk when inhaling it.

As to ovarian cancer risk, they are really not sure.  But I know there have been some successful lawsuits. 

I doubt Bare Minerals has anything like that in it.  It is not applied to the genital region, so I doubt it has any risks.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

BE is crushed minerals.  It's been around for years and is perfectly safe.  You can always contact the company to address any concerns you may have.

Trusted Contributor

I used to use Bare Minerals and I saw a segment on Dr. Oz and he suggested it was not something you should use.  It certainly didn't stop me from using it.  About a year later I found something I like better. Thing is, life in general is hazardous to your health.  None of us are getting out alive.  I've stopped worrying about every little thing.  

Honored Contributor

@luv-the-Q wrote:

I used to use Bare Minerals and I saw a segment on Dr. Oz and he suggested it was not something you should use.  It certainly didn't stop me from using it.  About a year later I found something I like better. Thing is, life in general is hazardous to your health.  None of us are getting out alive.  I've stopped worrying about every little thing.  

@luv-the-Q

Any chance you recall what it was based on?     There are vitamins and minerals in the food we eat, and in some of the vitamin pills we take.  What did he think was wrong with "minerals" in our makeup?

Super Contributor

Bare Minerals Mineral veil finishing powder, foundation, shadows and blushes do not contain talc. I just checked ingredients on their website. I checked the loose and Ready(pressed) products.

I love Bare Minerals products and do not fear for my health with their products. 

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  I don't remember exactly.  I do remember he said it wasn't good to use on your eyes, because there weren't enough studies and testing regarding how it could affect them.  It was years ago, when the mineral makeup became so popular.  I don't really believe half the things he says.  I have inhaled enough hair spray in my 63 years that Bare Minerals is the least of my problems.  😏

Honored Contributor

@luv-the-Q wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  I don't remember exactly.  I do remember he said it wasn't good to use on your eyes, because there weren't enough studies and testing regarding how it could affect them.  It was years ago, when the mineral makeup became so popular.  I don't really believe half the things he says.  I have inhaled enough hair spray in my 63 years that Bare Minerals is the least of my problems.  😏

@luv-the-Q

LOL !!     And I've consumed enough diet soda in my life that I'll probably die of "aspartame poisoning" ... LOL

Honored Contributor

I always question the safety of inhaling the powder when you apply it. I doubt most people hold their breath when applying it..... If someone used it for years and inhaled the powder into  their lungs I can not see any good out if that and possibly cause issues down the road.  Health and beauty items are  not regulated for safety so no warning would be given on the packaging.  Same goes for hair spray. That is extremely toxic to inhale. Bit when you are in the bathroom spraying it on your hair...it is hard to hold your breath.   No warnings on inhaling that either on the packaging.

you are pretty much on your own in this area.

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 Oh, well........  I say enjoy life!  Whatever makes you happy and whatever it takes.  I think we worry too much about stuff.  It's okay.