Respected Contributor

Sadly, I have to stop Epilating... 😪

I started epilating almost two years ago and I have loved it. It was the answer to my problem. My leg hair  is more dense and bristly than a wire brush, it’s awful, I can’t stand it myself. I have to shave every other day because it’s so prickly.  

Epilating helped a lot because I was without hair for longer time and the regrowth was softer and less prickly than shaving.  

BUT now,  over time the ingrown hair bumps have increased horribly- I tried everything, including wet and dry exfoliating, but my hair is curly, and the ingrown hairs get worse over time. I have bumps and boils, it’s not pretty. 

So I’m going back to shaving. 😭 I cant win this war on leg hair, I surrender. I guess there are worse problems...  Has anyone else seen this with epilating? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sadly, I have to stop Epilating... 😪

I haven't had a problem but have you tried Tend Skin?  It reduces ingrown hairs.  That might do the trick.

Valued Contributor

Yes, I have had the same problem.  Not to the degree you are describing but I definitely had ingrown hair bumps.  Back to shaving.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Skyegirl21  That is a problem. For those of us who epilate, the thought of shaving is sheer horror! Have you tried a warm bath with epsom salts, then epilating? That's the method I use. The epsom salts are soothing and also seem to exfoliate. I've never done a seperate exfoliatiation and I've been epilating for years and years. Perhaps you are irritating your skin? Hope this suggestions helps.

I follow up with Philosophy's Amazing Grace Firming Body Emulsion Lotion. These 69-year old legs always look attractive and I haven't worried about hairy legs in a over 15 years - maybe longer! Best wishes.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21  This is interesting.  The hair on my legs is barely there.  With age, it stopped growing. I do get a little hair on my legs but hardly anything.  I will shave maybe every 2 mos.   My underarms completely stopped growing hair.  I love it.  Friends my age still need to shave.  I am not sure why this happened to me but I am thankful.    Cat Wink

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

😮 Wow, I’m sorry.  I’ve used an epilator for 20 years.  I would be lost.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1- The hair on my legs stopped growing many years ago too.  I never had much to begin with on my legs.  I do epilate my underarms and very little grows back so I continue to do my underarms.  However, I have very thick hair on my head -  thank goodness.

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1, I'm like you.  I was never hairy, but have even less hair now.  Rarely shave.

wrote:

@Skyegirl21  This is interesting.  The hair on my legs is barely there.  With age, it stopped growing. I do get a little hair on my legs but hardly anything.  I will shave maybe every 2 mos.   My underarms completely stopped growing hair.  I love it.  Friends my age still need to shave.  I am not sure why this happened to me but I am thankful.    Cat Wink

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I started epilating almost two years ago and I have loved it. It was the answer to my problem. My leg hair  is more dense and bristly than a wire brush, it’s awful, I can’t stand it myself. I have to shave every other day because it’s so prickly.  

Epilating helped a lot because I was without hair for longer time and the regrowth was softer and less prickly than shaving.  

BUT now,  over time the ingrown hair bumps have increased horribly- I tried everything, including wet and dry exfoliating, but my hair is curly, and the ingrown hairs get worse over time. I have bumps and boils, it’s not pretty. 

So I’m going back to shaving. 😭 I cant win this war on leg hair, I surrender. I guess there are worse problems...  Has anyone else seen this with epilating? 

@Skyegirl21, yes, curly hair is difficult. I had that problem with chin hairs, and started getting ingrown hairs.  I finally took care of it with electrolysis.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal  You are lucky to have thick hair on your head.  Mine is medium but with thick hair you can wear the best short hair do's.  I wear my short and it looks good but a woman with the same style and thick hair always looks better.  Isn't that strange that the hair stops growing?

kindness is strength