Honored Contributor
Glad I'm not the only Curly Girl having difficulty w/ WEN styling products! Look for recent posts on DevaCurl & silicones in WEN styling products!
New Contributor

Hi Shanus,

I'm a curly girl too! My biggest problem is running out of a Wen product!

Have you tried your usual regimen, apply SC, Mousse on soaking wet hair, then blotting with a pillowcase and using the VTS with a diffuser?

Im just going through what I've known to work for curly hair.....Also, are you possible using a new CC that may be too heavy for your hair? Fig is way to heavy for my thin,dry,kinky ringlets.....Its the only one thats too heavy, buy Lavender turned my hair to straw, literally wanted to pull itself out everytime I touched it.

I also mix my CC's I use 1/2 613 on my second cleanse no matter what the other half is. A couple of drops of oil in your palm and spray 4 pumps of VTS and apply that way..

just trying to give you some ideas! I hope you get it figured out!

Honored Contributor

I gave up on WEN styling products. The Mandarin Italian Fig mousse works better than others, but still doesn't do much. I still use curly-specific products for my hair. Here are some of my favorites:

Ouidad: Botanical Boost spray, Climate Control Gel,

Curly Hair Solutions: Curl Keeper (great for humidity-proofing hair)

Shea Moisture's Coconut & Hibiscus Line: Hold & Shine Moisture Mist, Curl & Style Milk, Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Curling Gel Souffle.

Curl Keeper I order online from Amazon, but the others are available locally. I find Shea Moisture at Walgreens, CVS, and Ulta. Ouidad is carried at Ulta and Sephora.

I use loads of WEN products, but not the styling products.

Super Contributor

I only use the Wen RTM as a refresher on my curls and occasionally the CC as a leave in(I have others right now I'm trying to use up)

For my curls I have to use other styling products too.

I 2nd the Shea Moisture's Coconut & Hibiscus Line!!! I seriously love the Curl & Style Milk, Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Curling Gel Souffle and the frizz free mousse.

I also like the Cantu shea butter coconut curling cream & the Define & shine custard.

LaBella curling gel.

Curls Crème Brulee

Miss Jessies Multi Cultural Curls,Pillow Soft Curls and Curly Meringue.

Curls Unleashed Curl Boosting Jelly.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not a Wen girl, but I have hair like yours and use Hair Milk by Carol's Daughter. I comb through a dime size amount, then scrunch and air dry my hair. My hair is just past my shoulders. Too much and it will look greasy, so easy does it.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

I have been fighting my natural, fine, curly hair for 50 years, since the 1960s, trying to make it look like something day to day. Typical problem hair worn short and layered for about 20 years.

Right now, at 60, I am happier than I've been for many years with my hair.

I've quit using any permanent hair coloring and have let it grow out natural. Its just to my shoulders now.

My best results are from using Alberto VO5 Herbal Escapes Clarifying shampoo (Kiwi Lime with Lemongrass extract), followed by about a dime's size of TreSemme Keratin smooth conditioner on soaking wet hair, applied to the crown and ends, then worked through with finger combing. Leave on for a couple of minutes then rinse.

I then use a small, less than a dime's size, amount of John Frieda Frizz Ease Straight Fixation and work through the curliest portions of my hair (the crown). Then one large dollop of Roux Fanci-Full color styling mousse, again applied at the crown where most of my gray, and curly hair is, and worked through.

I then blow dry with a paddle brush with my head upside down and wrapping my hair around the brush.

Sometimes I might apply a little Aragon oil on the ends, especially in cold weather.

This is my new daily routine. I have oily skin and scalp, but due to the curls, especially when roughed up by permanent hair color for years and years, the oil never made it to the ends of my hair.

Now my natural oils are working down to the ends just with finger combing through the day. The mousse adds a little extra body, some color, is very easy to apply, and is not damaging my hair. Not to mention a can has lasted me close to 2 months, because I don't need a lot of it.

Over the weekends I try to go without washing and the color stays good. My hair is feeling thicker and not breaking the way it did when it was treated with permanent color. Now that it is warming up outside and the humidity rising, I'm getting good consistent results of nice longer waves. I really am liking it. Its been a while since I've had it this long.

Trusted Contributor
On 5/1/2015 GrailSeeker said:

I have been fighting my natural, fine, curly hair for 50 years, since the 1960s, trying to make it look like something day to day. Typical problem hair worn short and layered for about 20 years.

Right now, at 60, I am happier than I've been for many years with my hair.

I've quit using any permanent hair coloring and have let it grow out natural. Its just to my shoulders now.

My best results are from using Alberto VO5 Herbal Escapes Clarifying shampoo (Kiwi Lime with Lemongrass extract), followed by about a dime's size of TreSemme Keratin smooth conditioner on soaking wet hair, applied to the crown and ends, then worked through with finger combing. Leave on for a couple of minutes then rinse.

I then use a small, less than a dime's size, amount of John Frieda Frizz Ease Straight Fixation and work through the curliest portions of my hair (the crown). Then one large dollop of Roux Fanci-Full color styling mousse, again applied at the crown where most of my gray, and curly hair is, and worked through.

I then blow dry with a paddle brush with my head upside down and wrapping my hair around the brush.

Sometimes I might apply a little Aragon oil on the ends, especially in cold weather.

This is my new daily routine. I have oily skin and scalp, but due to the curls, especially when roughed up by permanent hair color for years and years, the oil never made it to the ends of my hair.

Now my natural oils are working down to the ends just with finger combing through the day. The mousse adds a little extra body, some color, is very easy to apply, and is not damaging my hair. Not to mention a can has lasted me close to 2 months, because I don't need a lot of it.

Over the weekends I try to go without washing and the color stays good. My hair is feeling thicker and not breaking the way it did when it was treated with permanent color. Now that it is warming up outside and the humidity rising, I'm getting good consistent results of nice longer waves. I really am liking it. Its been a while since I've had it this long.

I realize these are all drugstore products, but you should see the arsenal of products I have gone through, and still rotate with. Three different formulas of L'Oreal shampoos and conditioner.

I have The Bamboo 48-hour sustainable volume spray that came with the shampoo and conditioner kit sold here on QVC. Everytime I use that spray, I get a blister on my scalp. Some one said apply it to the roots, so I did, and I get a blister, even though the product does hold extremely well.

This sounds ridiculous, but I always go back to Aqua Net hairspray, the dollar a can one.

Its mostly water. Really does feel like a light net around my hair and works out with the first combing. Just slightly sets my curls.

These are all cheap products, and I'm sure they contain less "active" ingredients than expensive ones. I don't need a lot of product on my hair. Less is more.

Trusted Contributor

And I will add that the reason these products are cheaper, most likely, is because they are not highly fragranced. They do have fragrance, just not a ton. I am sensitive to perfumes and I can apply my own if that is what I am wanting. This is what works for me.

Respected Contributor
The volumizing treatment spray has a pretty strong hold. Have you tried mixing with your styling creme or spraying it on your curls once you have combed your wet hair. Just a suggestion. Good luck. I use the volumizing treatment spray as a hair spray. It holds pretty well.
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Contributor
I love Nick Chavez's regular flocker (in the can, it's a mousse) on my wavy hair. I keep wanting to try the soft flocker but haven't yet. I air dry my hair which is layered chin length, set it in hot rollers, and then put some flocker in my hands and scrunch. Style stays all day. Have used flocker for years. Has never dried out my hair or made it crunchy. Good luck!