Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Do you all have any idea if how much magnified sun you absorb when you ride in a car?  I didn't either until my dermatologist/surgeon at the cancer center pointed it out to me.  I'm not a sun lover, have always spent minimal time in the sun, am very fair and have had two rather extensive surgeries several years apart to remove malignant cancers on my face.  That'll change your mind about SPFs fast.

@Kachina624   I'm there with you. I wear spf every day, even when I'm staying home...the damage from the sun comes through the windows while you're watching TV, reading whether sunlight or a rainy day. Foundations with spf are not advantageous unless you're using at least a tablespoon and wearing foundation on your neck and chest. If you compare pictures of people same age, one who has worn spf and the other not, that would prove my point. If the wrinkles, brown spots, dry patchy skin are not enough of a turn off, skin cancer should be enough of a scare. I know it personally...come too close for comfort and @Kachina624 , you know it just takes a minute to smear it on and save your life. 

Honored Contributor

@Trix wrote:

I don't like SPF in makeup and prefer a product developed to protect skin from harmful sun rays.  It always boggles my mind why companies put SPF in makeup when they all have skincare which has better efficacies of the treatment benefits they claim the makeup has.  

@Trix  You are 100% correct.  I can honestly say, whether or not plastic surgeons are involved, IT foundations or CC creams cannot possibly have enough moisturizer, primer, serums, spf, etc. than if you applied these skincare products separately, let them sink in, dry down before the next one and then apply foundation as the last step. This is the biggest, most harmful, false gimmick to hit cosmetics in many years. Skincare is skincare and makeup is makeup. If dermatologists were involved instead of plastic surgeons (never understood that), this concept would never fly. 

There are combo products like moisturizers with spf 40 or higher to eliminate a step. Most women do moisturize face and neck. ***All the anti-aging creams, lotions, serums, plastic surgery procedures, Botox, facelifts, fillers...will not correct badly wrinkled, sun damaged skin. No spf? Save your money on all these other products. Sorry to be harsh. These are the facts.

Esteemed Contributor

I should think spf alters the consistency of a product. I'm also one who avoids added spf.

What I eat & drink, and also my more natural skincare things give me the protection I need on a daily basis.

If I'm hanging out in the sun for a long period, though, I use added protection.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa   FYI, I think there are natural sunscreens if you're interested.

Respected Contributor

Any dermatologist will say that you should not rely on the SPF in makeup. If you want SPF coverage, then you should use a separate SPF. Even though you don't go outside, you can still get damage from the outside light coming through the windows. They are also finding now that people are suffering damage from their electronic devices. If you are looking for something to protect you from any harmful rays, don't rely on any foundation that claims to have it in it. I am very sorry that you have had a rough go of things. Hope that the days ahead are brigher.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm ----oh girl----how your post made me laugh---thank you!!! I don't do alot of what you don't do--well--don't have the dog or armidillos altho would love to see one---am not a night person, and petting the other critters----maybe.....and was friends with a part dingo dog that I played fetch with. but I DO wear SPF cream everyday but not in a make up. and I have found that ANY of IT face make- up makes me look yellow and pancakie------ 

Honored Contributor

You don't apply enough foundation to get the full benefits of the SPF in it anyhow.  If you really want SPF you need to use a separate SPF.  

Right now I am using the Maybelline Fit Me matte + poreless foundation.  It does not have an SPF.  I also have the Revlon Candid foundation and that doesn't have sunscreen either.

More often than not my foundations do have a sunscreen.  I don't really care one way or the other.  

Valued Contributor

You're not alone. I do not rely on the spf in make up to meet my sun protection needs. As far as skincare, I prefer to use moisturizers without spf and use a separate sun screen. 

Respected Contributor

I'm not one to incorporate SPF into my daily routine which is all indoors really. I just apply it when doing outdoor activities. However I recenlty discovered three products that have SPF and create and astonishingly nice finish on my face with nearly perfect color matching and excellent coverage of redness.  Tarte foundcealer, Lancome UV expert CC cream and It Cosmetics CC cream illumination.  I was very shocked at how those two CC creams gave great coverage yet a natural, non cakey look.  So I guess I can go either way now, SPF or not, depending on my mood and daily activities.