Honored Contributor

Re: SPF IN MAKEUP NOT ENOUGH

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

Yes, many people think that an SPF in their makeup is enough protection. Shoot we read that often enough on these very forums- people saying they don't use sunscreen but just use makeup with SPF! So I do think, like everything else, people are duped into thinking if their makeup contains an SPF they are protected and I KNOW I've heard a few of the vendors state that because their foundation/cc/bb cream contains an SPF, it saves a step (meaning from having to put on an additional sunscreen). Jamie IS one of them I heard this very thing.

I think it is not only disingenuous to say that but also irresponsible and, frankly, dangerous. You can certainly mention you makeup contains an SPF but do NOT imply or state explicitly that it is all you need in terms of sun protection.

@HappyDaze

Happy, I'm not disputing what you're saying, but I've never heard Jamie say that.

I just find this hard to believe ......  any thinking person already knows what the cancer warning signs are and knows about sunscreen.   I doubt any consumer thinks a makeup vendor can be giving them medical information and advice.   

JMO

@Tinkrbl44 she has, but not on every presentation. Trust me on that.

And yes, the key word here is "thinking" person but, as you know, some people don't do their own research and believe anything a vendor, model, host, etc says. We see that all the time on the forums! That is why commercials work and celebrity spokespeople work well for products because people BELIEVE them. Sad, but true. I think many people are much more savvy though these days, because of the access to an abundance of information at our fingertips, literally, but still, many still just believe what they hear if they somehow feel like they can trust the person saying the words.

Regular Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@RedRedHair wrote:

For me, I find it somewhat as telling the truth with the intent to deceive.  Yes, there is SPF in foundations, powders, etc.; however, not enough to give adequate sun protection based on the way those items are applied.  According to what's been written by dermatologists and suncare experts, a minimum of 1/2 teaspoon sunscreen needs to be used on the face and neck area.  One derm wrote that most people do not apply enough sunscreen product to effectively get the stated SPF protection; citing an example of thinking you are protected at a level of SPF 25, when actually it is more like SPF 5.  My dermatologist has always stressed to me the importance of sunscreen itself, and there's nothing wrong with makeup that has SPF -- it's just not the first line of defense.  

@RedRedHair

I strongly disagree ......

I have never seen any makeup foundation represented as all the sunscreen you will ever need.  That's not the purpose of foundation!!   So WHY would this be an "intent to deceve"??   Would you please explain how this is "deceit"??

Consumers need to educate themselves as to the current guidelines, and be guided accordingly.   

Personally, I like that there's a small touch of sunscreen in many foundations, but I never believed that it was all that's needed.   I use an SPF30 tinted primer even before I apply any makeup.

People need to read up on sunscreen  .... but don't  blame the companies that make any version of foundation.  They aren't "deceiving" anyone!

@Tinkrbl44 They are telling the truth that their makeup has an SPF factor, and they make sure to say that it does; however, if you listen to their sales pitch, they do not mention that the makeup needs to be used with additional sunscreen for adequate protection.  They make it sound as though the SPF in their makeup is all you need.  And as I said in my previous post there is nothing wrong with wearing makeup that contains SPF, it just shouldn't be the first line of sun defense. 

Respected Contributor

@RedRedHair, I remember when SSC first came out with their CC Cream a few years ago. It is only an SPF 15 I believe. Jennifer Stallone raved about it stating that she went swimming all summer with only this on her face. Bla bla bla. So I am thinking yea right an SPF 15. CC creams aren't waterproof. So she really lost me with credibility on that one not to mention that an SPF of 15 doesn't do anything.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wait, if the IT CC Powder I am using says it has an SPF of 55 why in the world would I use an SPF 30 lotion under it? SPF does not have to be in lotion form only to work. There is clothing with Sun Protection Factor built in so I guess I am confused. With my powder there is an actual physical barrier( in addition to the Zinc Etc, the actual powder particles) tso I feel confident just wearing my Vitamin C serum under it.  

Trusted Contributor

@NeNe1010,

You are most likely not applying enough of the IT CC powder to achieve an SPF 55 on your skin.  You may want to rethink using an additional spf lotion under the powder.

Here's an interesting article about how much sunscreen to apply to achieve the SPF rating on the product and discusses how we really don't apply enough, especially SPF powder.

Honored Contributor

@NeNe1010 wrote:

Wait, if the IT CC Powder I am using says it has an SPF of 55 why in the world would I use an SPF 30 lotion under it? SPF does not have to be in lotion form only to work. There is clothing with Sun Protection Factor built in so I guess I am confused. With my powder there is an actual physical barrier( in addition to the Zinc Etc, the actual powder particles) tso I feel confident just wearing my Vitamin C serum under it.  

It doesn't matter what amount of SPF is in foundation because we never would apply enough to ensure safety from the rays.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

My derm doc told me long time ago SPF 15 is quite sufficient, no need to use anything higher, just reapply when swimming or out for long time to sun exposure. If my foundation has SPF  in it, I never use a separate sunscreen unless out for long exposure.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tricolor Spf 15 blocks 93% of UVB rays versus, for example SPF 30, which blocks 97%. That is far from not doing anything.

Honored Contributor

The point is, it all depends on how long you will be outdoors. IMO use the sunscreen first then go about applying whatever you use on your face to cover spots, redness, etc. It would be wise to let the sunscreen completely dry before applying the other facial cosmetics. It's nice there is sunscreen in some foundations but to get the best protection, use the real deal first.

One more thing, it takes about 20 minutes before sunscreen actually begins to provide sun protection.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

The point is, it all depends on how long you will be outdoors. IMO use the sunscreen first then go about applying whatever you use on your face to cover spots, redness, etc. It would be wise to let the sunscreen completely dry before applying the other facial cosmetics. It's nice there is sunscreen in some foundations but to get the best protection, use the real deal first.

One more thing, it takes about 20 minutes before sunscreen actually begins to provide sun protection.

@JustJazzmom

I have read that, but am not sure why something applied does nothing for 20 minutes and then what?   The imaginary switch goes on?   Why would it take 20 minutes?