Honored Contributor

Re: SPF IN MAKEUP NOT ENOUGH

@TuesdayTaylor wrote:

Oh jeez, I just pre-ordered the Bare Minerals TSV that has spf 30 in the complexion cream and spf 20 in the mineral veil - and I was hoping that would be enough!  I've never cared about sunscreen but I know I need to start.  Do you think I need sunscreen even with those two products?  If so, what's a good matte sunscreen?  I don't want to add layers of oiliness. 

@TuesdayTaylor, here's a list from the Paula's Choice site that might be a good place for you start. Some are all-physical sunscreens but some may not be. I have personally used #3:

6 Ultra-Light Sunscreens for Oily Skin

Each of the sunscreens we’ve selected fit the above criteria and work beautifully for those with oily to combination skin types (including the breakout-prone).  Ultimately, only you can determine whether a sunscreen is the right match for your personal aesthetic preferences, but these six options are among some of the best choices for your skin type:

1. Paula’s Choice Resist Daily Youth-Extending Fluid SPF 50 ($32 for 2 fl. oz.). This water-like formula feels like nothing on skin yet is loaded with soothing ingredients and antioxidants.
  2. philosophy miracle worker spf 50 miraculous anti-aging fluid ($58 for 1.7 fl. oz.). While the price isn’t miraculous, this is a standout formula from philosophy and it’s fluid-lotion texture feels sublime on oily skin.
  3. Paula’s Choice Resist Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30 ($32 for 2 fl. oz.). A sheer, skin-enhancing tint offsets the white-cast of its zinc oxide formula that sets to a super-matte finish (no need for primer!).
  4. Kate Somerville Serum Sunscreen SPF 50+ ($45 for 2 fl. oz.). Despite the “serum” name, this thin lotion deposits a light amount of moisture without a greasy finish.
  5. Paula’s Choice Skin Balancing Ultra Sheer Daily Defense SPF 30 ($28 for 2 fl. oz.). Making good on its name, this “ultra-sheer” formula helps control oil while drying to a soft-matte feel on skin.
  6. Olay Regenerist Regenerating Lotion with Sunscreen SPF 50 ($25.99 for 1.7 fl. oz.). Light moisture (without a heavy feel) make this niacinamide-laced drugstore option one to consider.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Wow, thank you, @suzyQ3!

Respected Contributor

@KrissieK,I keep reading that nothing below an SPF of 30 is beneficial. I pretty much was under  the impression that a 15 wasnt worth the effort.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think any sunscreen is enough in spring and summer. SPF only means that you can stay outside without burning a certain amount of time longer than if you weren't wearing any sunscreen. SPF doesn't apply to UVA rays which cause the aging skin damage. You need a hat and sunglasses and protective clothing too.

Respected Contributor

I use a moisturizer w/spf then Paula's Choice powder w/spf if I'm not doing full facial makeup. Other times I use the same moisturizer, a BB or CC cream w/spf or liquid foundation w/spf and the PC powder. In daytime I always use moisturizer w/spf on my face, neck and decolletage even if I'm staying at home. 

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

I don't think any sunscreen is enough in spring and summer. SPF only means that you can stay outside without burning a certain amount of time longer than if you weren't wearing any sunscreen. SPF doesn't apply to UVA rays which cause the aging skin damage. You need a hat and sunglasses and protective clothing too.

There are sunscreens that block both UVA and UVB rays. It should be labeled as such.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I've always known this. One is also not supposed to use moisturizers with SPF as their main sunscreen source for the same reasons.

Any doc will tell you: use a seperate sunscreen with high spf EVERY DAY, EVERY TIME.

Honored Contributor

When I wrote about SPF In MAKEUP NOT BEING ENOUGH, many of you missed my point about applying a sunscreen on ears, neck and chest.....Even if a foundation had SPF 50, we would not apply there! 

Honored Contributor

If anyone wants to read a little more, here's a link from skincancer.org on Sun Protection and Makeup.  HTH

http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/sun-protection/sunscreen/sun-protection-and-makeup#