Honored Contributor

@Shanus , I've never met a shampoo that doesn't say shampoo, rinse, repeat, and they always do that at the hairdresser although they just do a quick rinse between the two applications, not a complete one.  I have pretty much always ignored the repeat part.  

I never fell for Wen.  I, too, thought Chaz's hair has always looked gross which is not a good look for someone selling a hair product.  The other thing that immediately turned me off was how much product you had to use.  No thanks.  And I remember before they gave Wen their own board I saw so many people that said it wasn't working for them and, invariably the advice would be to use more product.  

I don't generally watch his presentations, but have caught bits and pieces over the years.  What I remember him saying about color is that the models have not needed it pulled through their hair once they started using Wen.  When you do your roots you let it sit awhile and then pull the color through to refresh the color in the length since usually there is some fadeage.  So, he's saying there is no fading such that you would no longer need to pull the color through.  He always seemed to have a beautiful redhead with long hair on when he would make that claim.  Red is the hardest color to keep vibrant.  I have read it's because the color molecule is larger than the other colors normally used in haircolor although these fashion colors people like to use must have even larger molecules because they fade very quickly.  The lack of fading was probably the only claim that MIGHT have sucked me into buying the product since I also color my hair red and it's a big problem.

Plus, back when he first came on the scene all you neede was his cleansing conditioner, nothing else.  Now, I see he has added a plethora of products including a couple to fight common hair color problems.  So, obviously the original CC did not stop the fading that causes those issues.  

I eliminated sulfates in my hair products years ago in my quest to reduce the fading of hair color.  I then started following a modified Curly Girl method mostly eliminating besides the sulfates, most silicones and drying alcohols.  I shower 4X/week which means I cleanse my hair that often since i have never been able to do anything with it no matter how cover it after a shower.  I still shampoo usually once a week.  sometimes I may go longer, but not in summer when I'm working outside a lot.  I believe in a clean, but not stripped scalp.  Because I have very hard water, I'll use a clarifying shampoo once a month before I do my roots.

Esteemed Contributor

I, too have tried Wen, but it left my hair a greasy mess, and the menthol was overpowering to me.

What is a turn off for me is when devotees say, "Oh, you just need to find the right combination of products!".

"For the first cleanse, use 'flavor' (What? They eat the stuff?) X, and for the second cleanse, use flavor Y"

Um, in order to find the "right combination", one would have to buy all of scents.

I shouldn't have to experiment on what "flavor" combo works best for my hair.

Personally, I think that the second cleanse isn't even necessary, it's just a way to get the customer to use more product, therefore, they'll run out sooner, and have to buy more.

Lastly, when I shared that it didn't work for me, I was told that I didn't rinse enough.

Believe me, I did.

One shouldn't have to drain their city's water tank just to wash and rinse their hair!

So, if Wen gives you hair like what the model's have, kudos, but understand and realize that it doesn't work for everyone.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess   When Chaz was coming to Q more often, he'd color, cut, etc. his model's hair during his visit and of course their looked gorgeous. I think he opened a small salon in the home he purchased in PA area. 

Now that he's rarely on, I see his models from month to month and their hair looks just as everyone else's who's modeling...sometimes dry, faded and in need of refreshed color. I'm assuming they're supplied w/ WEN products and are using them between Chaz's visits. Obviously, professional styling and maybe some "added" products produce the great final results we see. 

Honored Contributor

I was at least happy to see a model with very curly hair that didn't have it straightened.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess   I forgot to address your point about hair color. I colored my hair dark brown (professionally colored) for almost 50 yrs. before giving it up. The stylist rarely, if ever pulled the color through the rest of my hair after doing the roots. They'd always say that the previously dyed hair was porous and would become darker and darker. The root color was matched to the existing color. I don't remember anything fading. I will add that with very short hair and frequent cuts, the "non-root" (?) hair was minimal and didn't stick around for long. 

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess   Thank goodness they left the curls. Usually any makeovers on TV or magazines, if the women has curly hair, out comes the flat iron as if curls are not acceptable. Oh, don't get me started. 😜

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I, too have tried Wen, but it left my hair a greasy mess, and the menthol was overpowering to me.

What is a turn off for me is when devotees say, "Oh, you just need to find the right combination of products!".

"For the first cleanse, use 'flavor' (What? They eat the stuff?) X, and for the second cleanse, use flavor Y"

Um, in order to find the "right combination", one would have to buy all of scents.

I shouldn't have to experiment on what "flavor" combo works best for my hair.

Personally, I think that the second cleanse isn't even necessary, it's just a way to get the customer to use more product, therefore, they'll run out sooner, and have to buy more.

Lastly, when I shared that it didn't work for me, I was told that I didn't rinse enough.

Believe me, I did.

One shouldn't have to drain their city's water tank just to wash and rinse their hair!

So, if Wen gives you hair like what the model's have, kudos, but understand and realize that it doesn't work for everyone.

I follow a lot of curly girls on Instagram. They have beautiful curls and suggest all these products. It's overwhelming. Then I saw a stylist who cuts curly hair and has curly hair. She says the product doesn't matter use whatever as long as it sulfate free. It's more about technique. The hair care industry is like the diet industry they sell a lot of overpriced stuff when the truth is you don't have to spend much to stay healthy or have nice hair. 

Esteemed Contributor

Wen made my hair fall out!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Icegoddess   I forgot to address your point about hair color. I colored my hair dark brown (professionally colored) for almost 50 yrs. before giving it up. The stylist rarely, if ever pulled the color through the rest of my hair after doing the roots. They'd always say that the previously dyed hair was porous and would become darker and darker. The root color was matched to the existing color. I don't remember anything fading. I will add that with very short hair and frequent cuts, the "non-root" (?) hair was minimal and didn't stick around for long. 

@Shanus that's true and often a mistake that home colorists make fi they pull it through every time.  I've heard that comment several times by pro colorists.  However, red fades terribly, so it does need to be refreshed.  I don't pull my permanent color through anymore though.   I actually mix up a separate batch using 10 vol. vs the 20 vol peroxide I use on my roots which make it more like a demi-permanent.  Goldewell (the product I use) recommends using a demi-permanent on the lenght or my method.  If I used a demi-permanent I would have to have a whole other set of colors.  

Years ago, I did have trouble with my ends grabbing the color giving me dark ends, but putting conditioner on the ends before coloring solves that problem.  Obviously, my hair is in much beter shape now as I no longer have that issue. 

It works for me, and I have even had stylists compliment me on my color.  A lot of people used to think it was my natural color (as well as my curls) although I can't imagine anyone thinking that about my color now at my age (62).  I'm very open about it though, often joking "There ain't nothing natural about my hair."

Frequent Contributor

Have to agree his hair always looks like it needs a good degreasing.