Honored Contributor

Re: SOLUTION FOR SCOOPING PRODUCTS FROM JARS

@software wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

another idea.  Use something on the line of popcicle sticks.  Cut in half and use those to dip put some in hand or back top of hand and apply.

True but part of the problem is every time you take off the lid, you are exposing the product to the air and it loses it's strength.   Using a stick to apply solves half the problem.  I don't get the jar thing.   Pretty much everything I use comes in a narrow neck bottle or a pump delivery system.

I do love the strip on the side of anything-- shampoo, ketchup, it's all good!

@Shanus

@software   My other pet peeve is shampoo & conditioner in either bottles that look the same or printing so small that (no readers in shower) I use my label maker to put a S and C on the bottles. 😜

Honored Contributor

@m0rgan wrote:

Try spatty's.  Ther have at Walmart, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond.  $5.00 at Walmart and !0.00 ish for two at the others.

@m0rgan

i use the spattys also. i ordered them when i first saw them on shark tank.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Spattys were part of the last GMA deals and steals. Three to five dollars depending on which set you selected. I had sets sent out as gifts and picked up a couple for myself too. This will be my first time using these little spatulas. I see too much waste, product lodged in the upper shoulder or bottom of containers. Without actually cutting, it's impossible to get at what truly does amount to a generous portion that's left inside. 

Watch eBay also.

I'm big on transferring product into smaller containers too. I save those small pots or purchase tubes like mentioned above. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Shanus  Something like this?

Kitdine Portable Soft Silicone Travel bottles Set (3 OZ, Pink + White + Blue)

@JeanLouiseFinch  That’s it and there are others similar to those. For ease of transfer, just be sure there’s a large opening.

@Shanus  I actually own this set.  Since they hold 2 oz. I bought them when I was a WEN user.  It was more economical for me to pump them full from my 32 oz. bottle rather than to purchase the travel packets which, BTW, are a pain in the neck to open with wet hands.  I still use the tubes for other things.  Since they're different colors, I can tell which one is which.  

I don't have a big issue with containers and skincare.  Products have preservatives mixed in so there is protection. I also don't really see a huge contamination issue when dipping fingers because whatever the fingers touch is staying on the fingers when you draw it up from the jar.  I don't see how a lot of contaminants are staying on the product that's left in the jar. 

I do find pump style containers convenient for ease of use but won't refuse to purchase something if it's in a plain jar.  I finally smartened up and bought some small pump bottles and small dropper bottles for taking products when traveling so I wouldn't have all that weight to deal with by taking my full size jars and bottles.  Yes, they're glass, but I pack carefully and so far, so good.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch @Shanus @rochelleS

I use these same type of containers when I travel. Love them! They come in various sizes at REI. I got some at Walmart, which were only one size, but fit my needs. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

One of the first things you learn in beauty school is not to use your fingers in a jar of anything that is going to be used on your skin,  doing so turns the jar and it's contents into a Petri dish,

It's good idea to transfer to a tube container or use a clean spatula for scooping out your  cosmetics.

i see make-up artists in department stores using their fingers all of the time.  They need to regulate these so called called professionals better.

One time I was sitting waiting for my hair cut appointment and they were giving free make-up applications and would I like one.  Uh, that would be a no - aside from the whole ick factor it was at the height of cold and flu season.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus I Iike pumps and eyedroppers if appropriate....fingers in a jar, no way!

Honored Contributor

I use a small plastic spatula that came with one of my products.  I wash it off between uses.  Also, the M Asam product I use I just pull up the edge of the protective top so I'm not exposing the entire surface to air, although any product gets exposed to air unless it's in a vacuum pump since the volume removed is replaced by air.  So, just transferring it to a squeeze bottle does not keep it from being exposed to air.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

One of the first things you learn in beauty school is not to use your fingers in a jar of anything that is going to be used on your skin,  doing so turns the jar and it's contents into a Petri dish,

It's good idea to transfer to a tube container or use a clean spatula for scooping out your  cosmetics.

i see make-up artists in department stores using their fingers all of the time.  They need to regulate these so called called professionals better.

One time I was sitting waiting for my hair cut appointment and they were giving free make-up applications and would I like one.  Uh, that would be a no - aside from the whole ick factor it was at the height of cold and flu season.

@CelticCrafter  If you watch the makeup vendors on Q, they go from model to model w/o washing hands either. Major yuck!

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I really don’t think it is hygienic to keep putting your fingers into jars of skincare or makeup.

Recently at ULTA, I found larger sized soft tubes w/ large enough openings to scoop my products inside. I then use my label maker to tell what is what. My eye cream, moisturizer, and Bobbi Brown Extra Tinted Moisturizer all come in jars & are now in the these tubes. 

Second benefit? They’re clear, so even some of my skincare in tubes have been sqirted in these. Now I can see when I’m running out.

I’ve always wondered why it’d be so difficult to put a vertical clear strip in makeup/skincare tubes so you can see when nearing the time to purchase another one.

I like the above idea, however; when the tubes are almost empty there is a lot of product left inside that's wasted.  It's difficult to clean out.  

I use those small cosmetic spatulas to scoop product out of jars.  My fingers never touch the product.